Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Air Cleaners
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Gang,
I finally got around to finally getting inside the Oil Bath Air Cleaner on my '55. First time I'd ever seen inside of one and I had no idea they were so complex! Naturally the first question that came to mind was: Is all this worth it?
Seriously - What are the pros and cons of the oil bath v paper element filters? If the oil bath does a better job, naturally I'll stick with it. If the paper element is superior, then at least the paper is easily hidden in the oil bath case.
I'd love to hear the wisdom of the group on this.
Thanks in advance -

Posted on: 2011/2/28 17:19
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Air Cleaners
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I removed the oil bath screen from my '47 and replaced it with a paper cartridge. Less mess and fuss and easily converted back to original.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 17:23

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oil bath air filters, not to be confused with oiled mesh air filters, are extremely efficient and from a pure functionality viewpoint there isn't much if anything to gain by switching to pleated paper. The reason manufacturer's switched to pleated paper was primarily a very large cost saving, and they are atleast as efficient, if not a bit more so as long as the fit is proper.

Maintaining an oil bath filter is to some a dirty and unpleasant job, and to others it's maintaining a skill and link with the automotive past that's valuable.

Your car, your choice but if you change, you'd be wise to save all the oil bath parts.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I use the modern pleated paper air filter elements in my '37 Six, '47 Custom Clipper, and '55 Super Clipper. I do it without modifying the air cleaner in a way that the original oil bath function can be reinstalled easily. I save the old parts. It boils down to a personal preference. As O_D points out the oil bath types are exceptionally good at filtering the air. Some enjoy the periodic maintenance these require as part of the ownership experience. I prefer the simpler modern type, but retain the stock outside appearance. The oil mesh type air cleaners are another story. To each his own.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/2/28 17:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
My thanks to JW, Owen and Clipper47 for the prompt response.
I haven't made up my mind but I'm leaning to using the stock system on both (the '51 has the big optional Oil Bath Cleaner as well). Actually, I'm kind of intrigued. Plus the old system might be an advantage if Mount St. Helens starts acting up again. Either way I'll save the parts. I have a horror of throwing away anything original.
Getting the '55 assembly apart was chore - hopefully the one on the '51 will be easier.
Thanks again guys for the advice. It is welcomed as always!

Posted on: 2011/2/28 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IF one has an oil bath then why would they ever want a paper element type?????? The difference is in cost and durability. I mean seriously folks, how difficult is it to service an oil bath air cleaner anyway???? Nothing to buy except maybe less than a 1/2 qt of oil.

Many tout the K&N filter. For hi performance and all out racing MAYBE. For racing run NO filter at all. How good does an air filter have to be anyway????? The oil baths are superior cheap and easy to maintane. What do u want??? What's next??? A chauffer to drive the car for u???

Posted on: 2011/2/28 21:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I kind of figured the Oil Bath would be better; for as late as the mid '50s, there were still many unimproved streets and roads at (least in the Pacific NW)with the attendant dust. Not to mention all the detours while the Interstate Highways were being built.
Now that I know how to open them up (at least the '55s) I'm going to stick with'em.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 0:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Farm equipment still uses and recommends oil bath air cleaners. It can handle the dust kicked up through plowing, harvesting, etc. It is better for trapping dust and dirt than a modern paper filter. Seems like a no-brainer.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 1:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jim, Kevin (KevinAZ) posted the way he adapted a pleated paper filter element to his V-8 air cleaner using an Edelbrock after market system. Go to his project blog and search through to posts. There are a great many, but I believe it is in the first 100. It was his method that I used on my '55 Clipper. There is no harming of the original parts, and it (they) can be brought back to the original function easily. Kevin, can you help?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/1 12:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's a link to how I converted to paper element on my 55 Pat:

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/Panther/airfilter.html

Craig

Posted on: 2011/3/1 18:43
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved