Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

SteveP516, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '48 Electrical System Polarity
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Should I recheck #4 without the lamp circuit?

Would there be any symtoms if damaged internally?

thks for all your help

David

Posted on: 2011/4/18 16:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How reliable is the mechanical portion of the OD?

Extremely reliable as long as you keep lubricant in it. Very robust unit.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 17:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would recheck. If they are two separate wires with individual terminals, If you separate the wires and still read a short or .3 on both wires, solenoid is probably OK but if you now have no continuity on one wire with bulb still in socket, then time to find out why. If the wires are tied together on a single terminal, then remove the bulb from dash and same scenario. No continuity, find out why.

Almost anything mechanically wrong will most likely mean OD/trans comes out for evaluation or repair. Really need to make sure the solenoid is at least trying to come in or it tries to go into OD before going into mechanical things. I don't believe you mentioned whether you have heard it yet. The relay box will click when 5 grounded but there should also be a louder clunk, thud or heavier click from under the car.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 17:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Did not hear it-

I will try separating the wires-not hard

Separate question-how does the cover come off the 2 relay?

What about putting battery voltage directly on #4

David

Posted on: 2011/4/18 17:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Relay cover should be just a single screw. Here is an R9 relay showing the cover and terminals. Not sure how yours is oriented in car but the terminals have numbers stamped on them. The relay that drives the solenoid is the double contact one on left in this photo. Term 1 should be fed directly from solenoid battery connection off starter. It may have an inline fuse and if you have the safety switch, will go thru there first.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.62 KB)
209_4dacc7dd174c3.jpg 640X531 px

jpg  (41.69 KB)
209_4dacc7e5cdf40.jpg 640X573 px

Posted on: 2011/4/18 18:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
That is my relay-I removed the screw-but it was tight and concerned about forcing it.

thks

I plan to separated the wires at 4. What do you think about applying battery voltage directly to 4?

David

Posted on: 2011/4/18 19:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Gasket has probably stuck to the cover and base but no other attachments.

Would be good to do the continuity check first just to see if anything is there but battery voltage to 4 won't hurt anything. When you apply it to 4, relay 2 or the one on right should also energize as long as 3 is still connected. You do need to keep 3 hooked up because without the hold coil, if the solenoid does come in and complete a stroke it will release as soon as the internal pull in coil contacts open with nothing there to hold it. It will rapidly pull in and drop out or "machine gun". Not a good situation to allow for very long.

Bypassing the contacts of Ry1 will certainly rule that out as a problem & should bring solenoid in if it is going to at all. If it does not pull in, then nothing left to do but crawl under.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 19:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved