Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 179

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: '30 745 Woodlights
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Woodlites are also listed in the 1931 Accessory Catalogue
Please see it located here:
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1931_PackardAccessories.pdf

Note that the Woodlite Headlights were $50 and the matching fender lights were $20.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2011/3/26 17:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Roger, the 1931 Accessory catalog was already noted previously in this thread about availability. So the March 1929 list (which doesn't indicate what Series it applies to) doesn't list them, but 31 and 32 lists or catalogs do. I guess it's now a 1930 accessory listing that we'd like to locate with regard to a 7th Series car. Anyone have one?

In looking again at the March 1929 accessory list I did notice one item I'd not taken note of before, an "accelerator extension". Not to run too far off-topic, but anyone ever seen of of them?

Posted on: 2011/3/26 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Dave
The accessory catalog that I have is printed November 1929, and has both 1929 and 1930 cars featured. So the bumper lights were an accessory for 1930 models as well. No Woodlites, but plenty of other accessory lights in there, though.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 23:19
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
It's interesting that this car also has miniature versions of the Woodlites on top of the wings fenders.

It seems that they were clearly more popular on the custom bodies cars and used as a way of further differentiating them from the factory-bodied versions.

I personally don't like them much. They seem to be more suited to later 30's cars which were more avant-garde than the stock 745. The stylised teardrop shape isn't carried over to any other part of the car.

Mine shown below. The huge headlights and the symmetry (count the circles..... lights, mirrors etc) of the factory spec suit the car better (in my very humble opinion).

Attach file:

jpg  (25.80 KB)
3518_4d8f5002922c3.jpg 500X353 px

jpg  (167.36 KB)
3518_4d8f50a361735.jpg 1296X972 px

Posted on: 2011/3/27 9:55
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I tend to agree with you, IMO there are few instances where I think Woodlites actually add to the overall impression the vehicle gives - to me the Waterhouse is one of the few exceptions. Packard wasn't into "gaudy", they were into restrained elegance like much of their clientele, though less so in terms of clientele after the intro of the first "120".

One of the little features of earlier Packards (34 and back, generally) that I always found particularly interesting is the number of places where they subtly remind us of it's Packard origins by placement of the little replicas of the famous radiator "yoke" design element. For example, in 1934, the "yoke" shape is found on the headlight and parking light lenses, the headlight, tailight and parking light bezels, the bumper over-riders, the bumper center plates, the trunk rack when so equipped, and the radio panel in the dashboard, to name most of them. Seems almost everywhere you look you're reminded it's a Packard without using the company name.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
OD - we are singing from the same hymn sheet here.

I love the fact that it doesn't have a badge on the car that says "Packard" (ok, it says so on the wheel centres but that's all).

Instead there are numerous small details that can only be Packard.

I like the way that the dimensions carry over. Like you say, the ratio of the radiator frame are copied on the tops of the headlights and the overall dimensions betwixt radiator, lights and wing-top lights.

Rolls Royce were very proud of the corinthian column / portico dimensions of their radiator which were in perfect dimension.

The original factory Packard body pulls this trick off too.

Good thread guys!!

Posted on: 2011/3/27 10:32
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Jay Leno enthuses about the same purity of dimension on his '32 Twin Six

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/antiques/1932-packard-twin-six/

Posted on: 2011/3/27 10:36
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I suppose it's strictly a matter of personal tastes. I find the Woods most conservative looking without any spartan characterics.

The Woods tend to give a rather stark appearence to the car while maintaning a streamlined look. The very large round diameter headlites are almost Super Flyish looking.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 10:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
kts68, hey now, give us a little more credit - many of us on this side of the pond know what "wings" are.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Go to this recent posting:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6781&forum=4

Click on the link to the video and at 4:02 minutes into the video you will see a very handsome Packard with Woodlites and matching fender lights.

Wish I knew how to post a screen shot from a video. Maybe Guscha can do that for all of us.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 7:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved