Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

under a mountain of furniture pads
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
To work as furniture mover isn't the optimal job for me but an elderly lady in the immediate vicinity needed help. After three days of work only one package remained on the truck under a mountain of furniture pads. Look what I've found.

Attach file:

jpg  (137.00 KB)
757_4d8faefcce3d1.jpg 1001X751 px

jpg  (58.65 KB)
757_4d8faf10a637f.jpg 654X491 px

jpg  (77.22 KB)
757_4d8faf2d36bd6.jpg 998X613 px

Posted on: 2011/3/27 16:42
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Re: under a mountain of furniture pads
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Were you able to secure it for your private collection?

Posted on: 2011/3/27 16:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Kevin, I can't help smiling. That question gets straight down to the nitty-gritty.

In favor of owning the motorbike I would like to infect her son (my neighbor) with the passion of our rusty hobbyhorse. Therefore I suggested to restore it together with him. He seems to be hooked. It needs to grow, so let's wait and see.

Meanwhile I found out that the exhaust is wrong and even the monochrome picture above shows the wrong exhaust. The original bike has a so called fishtail pipe. Below you'll find a correct pic [source:http://www.dkw-motorraeder.de/motorrad/dkw+rt+200h.html].

Attach file:

jpg  (37.33 KB)
757_4d8fb9f0d1006.jpg 638X395 px

jpg  (67.82 KB)
757_4d8fba01a2e76.jpg 660X881 px

jpg  (69.60 KB)
757_4d8fba1d42f67.jpg 477X636 px

Posted on: 2011/3/27 17:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Most likely the fish tail was an option accessory or year dependnent. What year is it?? I assume it has a Puch 2 stroke engine. That engine is rather peculiar in that it has TWO pistons, a small one nearest the carb and a big one nearest the exhust port. Both connecting rods are connected to the crank by a kind of very short dog legged journal bearing auxilary rod. Very strange set up if it turns out to be as such.

Great find. U'll have fun riding it.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 21:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is a chrome plug at the end of the upper frame tube. Likely that there are parts or tools or documentation stored in there if plug is removed. Also check inside of the headlite shell or any other places that mite serve as stowage.

Most likely it is magneto ignition (no battery). some of the EC built bikes had a peculiar magneto/flywheel arrangement that made removing the flywheel difficult resulting is breakage of parts. If it does not come off easy and there is access to the ignition points thru or from behind the flywheel then just rig it up to run off of a battery and car coil. Otherwise the retaining nut and or flywheel may be damaged in process of removal. Just tread easy on the removal.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 21:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Neat find, Gerd! I think that is really great you are helping the young fellow fix it up.

Enjoy!

Posted on: 2011/3/27 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Most likely the fish tail was an option accessory or year dependnent. What year is it?? ...

Keith, it is a 1953. And you're right, a year before it had the cylindrical endpiece. The engine is a two-stroker, a two cycle engine. Properly designed exhaust systems help minimize the amount of raw fuel loss in the exhaust process, but a two-stroke engine will always waste some fuel, one of many of its drawbacks. The inner duct route of the new designed exhaust generated a well balanced counter pressure with due regard to sound waves induced movement of exhaust fumes. The engine performance went up to 9.7 hp, an increase of 14 per cent on 8.5 hp. The outer fishtail form has been a temporary fashion.
With the aid of its vehicle identification number we'll have to dig a bit deeper to ultimately understand the original configuration of the motorbike. Unfortunately, Dave's (O_D) database can't help.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.17 KB)
757_4d90972a3e417.jpg 610X813 px

Posted on: 2011/3/28 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I assume it has a Puch 2 stroke engine. That engine is rather peculiar in that it has TWO pistons, a small one nearest the carb and a big one nearest the exhust port. Both connecting rods are connected to the crank by a kind of very short dog legged journal bearing auxilary rod. Very strange set up if it turns out to be as such...

Actually, the cylinder block looks like a Puch "Split-single" or one of its numerous variants - Keith, I take my hat off to you! But it is a conventional single-piston stench bomb.

[picture source:http://www.dkw-motorraeder.de/motorrad/dkw+rt+200h.html]

Attach file:

jpg  (26.25 KB)
757_4d909bac4af85.jpg 300X320 px

Posted on: 2011/3/28 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
There is a chrome plug at the end of the upper frame tube. Likely that there are parts or tools or documentation stored in there if plug is removed. Also check inside of the headlite shell or any other places that mite serve as stowage...

The first version had a battery and tools compartment as a part of the fuel tank. Among other disadvantages (center of gravity, fuel capacity, accessibility) the cold airstream in wintertimes cooled the battery down to a performance minimum. Therefore the compartment had been moved behind the left leg of the driver.
The mentioned chrome plug is the end cap of a spring or suspension strut of the driver's seat. It is a relict because the preceding model didn't have a soft tail suspension.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.47 KB)
757_4d90a46870676.jpg 546X410 px

jpg  (52.58 KB)
757_4d90a479c754d.jpg 621X466 px

Posted on: 2011/3/28 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Guscha,
Ausgezeichnet! Amazing find and kudos to you for guiding your neighbor's son to purse the restoration.

Glad to see a remnant of the old Auto Union to see light again.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 10:11
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved