Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

Plugs1, West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Caribbean trim codes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Trim codes - a further discussion of upholstery codes.
Caribbean convertible codes are 90, 92, 93 and 96.
What happened to 91, 94 and 95?
Similarly Caribbean hardtop codes are 290, 292, 293 and 296.
Gray Boucle' cloth is used in all except 92 and 292 which use Copper Boucle'. Wonder how long you would have to wait to get that woven??

Attach file:

jpg  (133.48 KB)
23_4d93837b0d209.jpg 1600X1144 px

jpg  (116.93 KB)
23_4d938399d468b.jpg 1600X781 px

jpg  (122.74 KB)
23_4d9383ae2ce4d.jpg 1600X813 px

jpg  (118.75 KB)
23_4d9383c418bd4.jpg 1600X756 px

Posted on: 2011/3/30 13:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Caribbean trim codes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
I probably missed it but where did these fabric samples and codes come from?

Posted on: 2011/3/30 16:15
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
1956 Dealer Upholstery Book I believe. There is a copy of it here on the website.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 16:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Kev is correct as usual

Posted on: 2011/3/30 19:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Trim codes...What happened to 91, 94 and 95...

...and 291, 294 and 295 for hardtops?

The gaps in the sequence of Trim Set numbers for the '56 Caribbeans does suggest that additional combinations might have been proposed, but were never approved.

While there are bean counters who will tell you that things like part numbers should never be assigned with any significance, in and of themselves, I can tell you that's not true in actual practice. Ford and Honda have long embedded the group number (base code) in their part numbers. GM assigned block of parts numbers to their various divisions, such that - at least 30 years ago - I could look at the first couple of digits of the number on the package and often tell you what division supplied the part. It's not uncommon practice to assign P/N's to RH-LH parts with a consistent even-odd (or odd-even) cadence. Yet, I digress...

Looking at trim set assignments and bulk trim listings, I am starting to see some pattern, which might be the brilliance of Ed Cunningham at work. That said, I would like to suggest the following:

91 (291) = LIGHT GRAY GENUINE LEATHER AND WHITE GENUINE LEATHER REVERSIBLE TO GRAY CLOTH AND WHITE GENUINE LEATHER - that is, white with light gray leather insert and dark gray band, which reverses to white with gray boucle insert and light gray band (dark gray dash and carpet).

94 (294) = TURQUOISE GENUINE LEATHER AND WHITE GENUINE LEATHER REVERSIBLE TO GRAY CLOTH AND WHITE GENUINE LEATHER - that is, white with turquoise leather insert and black band, which reverses to white with gray boucle insert and turquoise band (turquoise dash and carpet).

95 (295) = BLACK GENUINE LEATHER AND WHITE GENUINE LEATHER REVERSIBLE TO GRAY CLOTH AND WHITE GENUINE LEATHER - that is, white with black leather insert and dark gray band, which reverses to white with gray boucle insert and black band (black dash and carpet).

Mind you, that's just my best guess; only the designer's notes would tell the tale.

Now, I wonder what (if any) additional paint combinations might have been intended, for use in conjunction with these Trim Sets.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 21:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Brian - good thinking.
I like the 95 trim code on my VMV Caribbean. Perhaps they thought it was too much black and white.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 22:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved