Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

humanpotatohybrid, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55/56 Ceramic OEM GAS filters.
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I assum the oem filter is ceramic. Soaking in laquer thinner didn;t seeem to help. Since it is CERAMIC and ceramic can withstand very high temperatures i'm wondering if the filter element could be cleaned, after soaking, with a torch flame or oven to melt/burn or crystalize any impregnated debris such as rust.

IIrc ceramic will heat to a glowing red???? If it gets that hot then anything in it should disintegrate to the extent that further soaking or pressue should clean it very well. No???? I don;t know.

It would also be beneficial to have some kind of flow statistics or flow specifications for the rock to test it with.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 18:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: 55/56 Ceramic OEM GAS filters.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What about soaking in carb cleaner or dip--not the water based ones but the solvent style whose fumes will eat the paint off a car at 20 yards. 3M and CRC say theirs dissolve old hardened varnish, resins, and gum. You can probably still buy those in Tenn.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 20:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm more suspicous that rust particles and earthen type materials are the problem with filters rather than any chemical or petroleum based debris or gum etc..

Posted on: 2011/4/11 20:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
New Carter filter elements are on eBay all the time. I picked up a couple of spares quite cheap.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 21:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Soak in lacquer thinner and then blow with compressed air in the direction opposite to the fuel flow so you don't further imbed particulates into matrix, but blow them free.

Or, if you've got one, an ultrasonic cleaner tank with lacquer thinner. Or just buy a new one, they're cheap.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 22:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved