Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 236

Ross, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 Clock Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Another restoration question:
I purchased a senior model clock for my 56 Exec on ebay. The clock only works when I pull out on the adjustment stem. Since the stem doesn't stay in that position (it's spring loaded), it won't stay running.

Does anyone have an idea if this can be repaired easily?

Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2011/4/12 16:24
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Clock Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Most factory clocks of that era only took one sporatic quick electrical sharge to wind it. I think u should be able to hear it ticking. But it will not draw electricity continuously.

So i'm not real sure what u mean it only 'runs' when u pull out on the adjuster. Can u hear it tick???? Just plug it in and see if it runs over a few minutes rather than expect to hear it run immediately.

Make sure it's grounded good too. Maybe when u pull the adjuster out it places enuf tension on the clock to ground it mommentarily.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 16:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Bob,
Mine does the same thing. I have a friend in watch and clock repair, both old and new, told me these clocks work by a set of points closing causing them to kick open thus winding the clock, he said sometimes with low battery they touch and remain closed thus burning the contact. A little cleaning, light oil and points filed might do the trick. Have not tried this on mine yet.
Bill

Posted on: 2011/4/12 16:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming "the works" are intact and reasonably clean, usually just cleaning the points does the trick.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Clean the points, and sometimes the wire from the points to the winding melts from the points staying closed (or stud to the winding, whatever, there's one wire in there).

I resoldered, cleaned, oiled, and it's good as new. Since you're pulling the knob out, you're probably releasing the last of the tension in the spring and it's working, but i bet it stops as that tension does.

If you take it apart, you can wind it by hand by moving the outside of the motor around, it should run normally. If not or needs help, likely needs cleaned.

The points really just turn on and off an electrical motor that's setup for only about 1/8th a revolution before the points open and stop it, and a spring pulls it back slowly to power the clock.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
When I said it was running, I saw the second hand start to move when I pulled the stem out. It may have only run for a few seconds as I only held the stem out for a few. Guess I'll take it apart and see what trouble I can get in I'll let you know.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 21:06
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
They're easy to work on. I have some extra cleaning solution if you want.

The general test is to lightly lube it with WD-40. If it works after you wind it, then it's good. Fix the electrical, then clean the whole works in solution, then lightly oil with a pen oiler where the shafts for the gears meet the plates that hold them.

If you just spray WD40 and let it go, it will likely gunk up again shortly, though it will work long enough for you to do the work to get it into the dash :)

Posted on: 2011/4/12 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I'll try the repair this weekend using the steps you outlined. I hope that it's not gunked-up inside but it looks real clean on the outside

Posted on: 2011/4/13 6:58
Bob

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved