Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 238

acolds, Don B, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: What do you do for car shows?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I once had a Mother with her young son admiring the 400. I was standing near by and walked over and asked the boy if he would like to sit up behind the steering wheel. He was very enthusiastic and I opened the door and he climbed up into the car. He gazed with wonderment at all the gauges and push-button transmission and pretended he was driving. The Mother just stood there beaming. When he climbed down, she was very appreciative and thanked me profusely for letting her son sit up in the car.

I replied "I don't care, it's not my car".
It's a real shame I didn't have a camera to catch the expression on her face. She grabbed her son and left in a hurry.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Randy, a good friend of mine said the exact same thing after giving some kids a ride in his Model T as their mom looked on at a local event. The reaction was priceless!

One thing my local VMCCA chapter is doing this summer...we printed up business-sized cards with club info and phone numbers for interested folks to follow up when we are approached at club events. We're hoping to grow in numbers as our group is literally "dying away"...

Posted on: 2011/4/22 17:39
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
When I see a well behaved kid I will let him climb in to the driver's seat. Once had 4 young girls in the front seat. I always do explain that you should always ask a car owner if you can climb inside. They love hnking the horn.

At one show I missed a great opportunity to teach a lesson and make a young friend. A young kid was standing on my running boards. I politely asked him not to stand on the car. His father made him come up to me and apologize. The kid was definitely embarrassed. I should have taken the time right then to explain why we can't have everyone climbing over the cars, but then let him get in the car. I thought of it after the id and his father had left. Oh well, next time.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 22:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,
I sponsor trophys for two car shows. I attend one for a short time. It is no fun sitting or walking around on hot pavement or grass. Most shows want you to arrive at a certain time and leave at at certain time. An hour is more than enough. I never show my car or have it judged. I park off to the side.The experts that roam around are only too happy to point out what is wrong with the car. The prevailing attitude is "my car is better than your car". I have a good time touring with groups and going to restaurants and historic places. I truly enjoy the people and places.

Jerry

Posted on: 2011/4/26 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
My wife was all too happy to let my 2 young stepsisters climb on someones restored tractor at a show. She didn't understand why i flipped out and basically yanked them off and made them stand still. I looked around quickly, because the owner wasn't there, but if he's like me, he wasn't too far watching disapprovingly.

I tried to explain that it's not just a tractor, but it's someones baby like like my cars are to me, and she wouldn't let them just climb in a show car to play and get pictures.

Some people just don't really see things the way we do.

Posted on: 2011/4/26 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I haven't run into too many experts. The one thing is those who feel compel to tell you theirblife story.

Posted on: 2011/4/26 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
I went ahead and had a board made up to put in front of my '53 Cavalier, the basic info, extras, and the price tag for everything. The only thing I DIDN'T add (and should have) was that, despite the fact that my paint has a lot of scratches and such, its the original paint! Whenever I tell people that, it usually stops em right in their tracks!

Posted on: 2011/4/27 0:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I bought this car show sign from the Packards of North Texas club at Salado last year. It is like a building lobby directory and has the Packard crest and script. The removable letters and numbers allow for it to convey whatever message you want to share with show goers. The one pictured is what I have for the '47 Clipper Custom. I bought the tripod easel at Hobby Lobby. It makes a nice presentation of information about the car.

(o{I}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (42.37 KB)
565_4db822eba0157.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2011/4/27 9:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I've been tempted to throw this sign up at car shows on the Packard and other cars that i have/had:

Attach file:

jpg  (30.97 KB)
1420_4db831e2604f4.jpg 578X399 px

Posted on: 2011/4/27 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My wife was all too happy to let my 2 young stepsisters climb on someones restored tractor at a show. She didn't understand why i flipped out and basically yanked them off and made them stand still. I looked around quickly, because the owner wasn't there, but if he's like me, he wasn't too far watching disapprovingly.

I had a fire truck before I got my Packard. I have met this woman and all her relatives. I had people order me off my own truck because it was their turn. Others called the police because an individual not in proper uniform was driving a fire truck and must have stolen it.

As owners of nice cars, you have no idea of the depths of stupidity out there....

Posted on: 2011/4/27 12:27
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved