Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Identification of Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The head lites are definately Pierce Arrow styling. But i was not aware that PA used such exaggerated protruding headlite design.

Peculiar is the girl in the back seat wearing rather modern looking sport type sungalsses. This is the first picture i ever seen from any of that era with anyone wearing sunglasses.

Also note the hat laying on the running board. Girl in front seat wearing leopard fur coat????? And what appears to be either torn and sagging inner door trim or maybe somekind of travel bag hanging on the inside of the door????

Very interesting picture of that era. Thank u for posting it.

Posted on: 2011/4/25 9:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A handy reference for Pierce-Arrows is Bernie Weiss' The Pierce-Arrow Motor Car, published by the Pierce-Arrow Society in 1981. They don't have a picture of every year and model but there are pictures of some of the 1914 models. The book notes the patent for the fender headlights (U.S. 1,096,802) was granted on May 12, 1914 with 1914 the first year of use, but Weiss notes a P-A factory brochure which says they first appeared on the Model 48-B-2 identified as a 1913-1914. The patent was applied for on Feb. 1, 1913 so they certainly couldn't have been used (without invalidating the patent) before that date, but could have been used after filing but before the patent was granted. In any case, standard headlamps sometimes called New York lamps, were always available.

Other good Piece references are Brooks Brierley's There is no Mistaking a Pierce-Arrow (1979 & 1986) and the Automobile Quarterly's special issue of Winter, 1968. There is also a book by Dennis(?) Ralston which is considered a good volume.

Very admirable vehicles, those Pierces. If you could afford a Pierce, you could afford a leopard fur coat (or several)!

Posted on: 2011/4/25 10:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mulder
See User information
Hi all,

sorry for my belated reply. I was travelling in Germany and internet is not as coming there as in other countries...

Via the AASA-forum I received the following reply:" It is indeed a 1914 Pierce-Arrow. The convex curve of the headlight projection was used that year only in the Teens. It is a 38-hp (calculated hp), known as a 38C2, per the headlights being higher than top of the radiator. Larger cars available that year were the 66A2 and the 48B2.
The 38C2 had a six-cylinder 4 x 5.5 bore and stroke engine, rode on a 132-inch wheelbase, and weighed 4300 lbs. "

About the people: You're right there. Fashion comes back and back. Did you note the American flagg on the hood? At least I believe it shows an American flagg.

Cheers
Rob

Posted on: 2011/4/28 8:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved