Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Convertible top kit for convertible sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Do you know of anyone who makes a kit?

I know that today I'm paying 10 times what I paid for a cup of coffee in 1971, and 20 times what I paid in 1960, but does that hold true for convertible tops, too?

In 1960, I had a custom top made for $125 in San Jose. In 71, about $350. Now I'm looking at something sililar to coffee nflation for a custom top for the 1940 Duchess 160 conv sedan.

In 1971, the shop that put the last new top on her bought a pre-cut kit from someone, (I thought Bill Hirsch, but they don't make them or don't make them anymore I was told). I remember it was a kit because the snaps were a couple inches off on one side from where they should have been and the shop drilled holes in the top frame rails to use the incorrect positions.

I recently checked with Kanter and Kepich. No luck there. The shop said checked with Hirsch.

If I have to bite the bullet, so be it. Labor of love as you know. Do you know of anyone who makes a kit?

Posted on: 2011/5/2 9:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Convertible top kit for convertible sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wish your post would have been up a day earlier, I spent a couple of hours with Bill Hirsch yesterday and could have asked him for his advice. But perhaps you should call him directly to see if he can offer anything helpful. I doubt there is anyone around who knows more about these matters than Bill. Plus he's owned several Packard convertible sedans including a 34 and a 40.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I love the Internet. I wonder how cars were properly restored without it, though years ago some of these items were widely available.

Case in point, tops for a 1940 convertible sedan. At OD's suggestion, in speaking directly with Bill Hirsch this morning, he thought that perhaps in the 70s he did supply my top through Arrow or Standard or Crown top manufacturers, for whom he was a distributor, but all are out of business now.

Also he carries different shades of "tan" material and I'm trying to get as close to khaki as possible. He's sending samples of his tan stock.

I kept on searching and reached Randy, the technical expert at EZ ON Auto Tops, Inc., Ivon, SC, 800 345-2886. They have the pattern for the 1803 1377. They sell through distributors. The nearest to me is in LA, Vic's Upholstery, 800 624-4470. Vic himself answered the phone and figured a price on the spot.

I'm thrilled (1) That the pattern is not lost and (2) the significant cost it will save in materials and labor.

Tenacity, what it took to get Bin Laden. Go Navy!

Posted on: 2011/5/2 15:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad you spoke to Bill and he was helpful. Just FYI, my 56 Caribbean top which I purchased thru Bill was made by EZ-ON though their warranty card says they are in Iva, SC, not Ivon.

How did we do this before the internet - we spoke to folks over the phone or wrote letters, or joined clubs to meet other owners and interested parties to exchange information. Not all that different really.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Dislexia strikes again. This is cut and paste safe.

E-Z ON Auto Tops

Since 1989, E-Z On Auto Tops has been providing the industry with premier fabric and vinyl convertible tops. Over 30 years of combined market experience manufacturing convertible tops with patterns dating back to the 1920's. Commitment to innovations, state-of-the art equipment and quality goes into each convertible top for domestic, import and vintage convertible automobiles.

EZ ON Auto Tops, Inc.
P.O. Box 130
Iva, SC 29655
(800) 345-2886

Posted on: 2011/5/2 15:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Joe, I guess your top will be made from Haartz cloth?

Posted on: 2011/5/2 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
One estimate was based on Sonneland, which is also made by Haartz, as is Stay-fast. It was recommended because the top looks smoother, more finished.

Bill Hirsch must be a distributor for EZ On, too, so when I see Bill's tan samples, I'll get a price from him as well, though he doesn't know he can offer this top yet.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 17:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I bought my top from EZ via Bill, I wanted enough additional material to make the matching boot, and the installer wanted the cut at the back and sides to be a bit fuller (a little extra material) "just in case", none of which was a problem. It was a very pleasant and satisfactory transaction and thus far in 10 years the top has held up well though, unlike yours, it's electro-welded vinyl.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 17:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
How did we do this before the internet - we spoke to folks over the phone or wrote letters, or joined clubs to meet other owners and interested parties to exchange information. Not all that different really.
Our letters are now email, but we still phone each other and join clubs. Most of us belong to a national Packard club and also some local organization. I suspect it's the same with the Chebbie and Mustang folk. Websites like this one have many participants although I doubt any of them are as good as this one!
Meeting folks face-to-face is still the best!

Posted on: 2011/5/2 21:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved