Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Valuation help needed for a 2472
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

bingster
See User information
Hi gang,

I've decided, after much soul-searching, to sell my Packard. I just don't make enough to keep it up, and having no garage, the elements have taken their toll. It deserves to be with somebody who can afford to treat it the way a Packard deserves to be treated. What I need help with is determining how much it's worth and how much I should ask for it. I'm selling it on craigslist, as I'm moving soon, and need it to sell fairly quickly. There's no need to be delicate--I know it's rough, and I need honest opinions.

The condition of the body is a little distressed, but restorable (what isn't?). I've attached photos so you can see the condition. I didn't show the rockers, which are both holed and need replacement. Beyond that, at the bottoms of a couple fenders and a couple doors, there's bubbling, which is also present over each rear wheel arch. The passenger side door window is cracked and needs replaced. I have the pelican--it's removed for security. The paint isn't quite as bad as the photos show. The car is filthy and the sides are covered with cut grass, etc. Living in an apartment makes washing it difficult.

The interior fabrics were redone (covered over, actually) a long time ago, and are still in great condition. They're not original-type fabrics (they're synthetic, I believe), but they were probably the closest match that was available then. The metal interior parts need repainting and the headliner has to be replaced.

Mechanically, the engine and transmission run perfectly, despite appearances. The wiring harness is original and needs to be replaced. The passenger side windshield wiper cable broke, too, but I have everything needed to fix the problem. The biggest issue, though, is the brakes. I had a shoe break loose on the back driver's side, and it wiped out everything between the backing plate and drum. I have all the parts to fix this, but haven't done it.

Photos can be found here:
http://thegreatgildersleeve.net/sharedfiles/misc/51packard300/

Posted on: 2011/5/3 20:01
Darrin ~ 2472
 Top  Print   

Re: Valuation help needed for a 2472
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Just as a guess, I'd say $5000-7000. Anyone else?

Posted on: 2011/5/3 20:19
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
How does it run, 100% honestly, every detail. Any carb issues, rough idle, hesitation on WOT, runs warm after driving, burns oil etc.

How about the ultramatic? Mine ran great but 4-5000 miles later needed a full rebuild.

If those are really both very solid and run great and fires right up and no noises or leaks and shifts great and firm and no low pressure issues or wore out tranny, i'd expect to see it listed 4-6. If there were issues with the running gear, after doing all my ultramatic work and knowing better, i'd expect to pay a lot less.

So i think rich's guess was close. Again, i'm in an area where there doesn't seem to be a lot of packard fanfare, although the brand was started 4 miles from me. In areas like CA where there are larger support groups and people that work on them, they would fetch more.

Good luck with your sale, sorry that you have to let her go!

Posted on: 2011/5/3 20:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
There's much more interesat/action in Calif but the bodies are usually rust free. To get just the body of this car to equal a rust free Calif car might cost $5000-$7000 alone. I'm talking first class cut no corners metal replacement. A shoddy bondo job will be cheap and disintegrate in a few years.

I feel this car, needing much work, is worth $2500.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 22:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved