Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Clock 51
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Finally got The old girl out for the first time today.Crummy weather here in Michigan.Yeah, she ran like,...well a Packard.But rats the clock did not start when I connected the battery.The battery did run down to dead last fall,so I did not get a last start up before the snow flew.Plus the charger quit.Oh well I am thinking just clean the connections.Any one have any other thoughts? BHW

Posted on: 2011/5/5 16:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Clock 51
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When your battery starts to run down, it causes arcing when the points come together on the clock. Then eventually the points stick because of this. Then you hook charge up the battery again and it blows the fuse, or melts the solder connection at the safety leg on the winder solenoid in the clock. Either way you will need to service the points in the clock.

Posted on: 2011/5/5 17:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thanks Kevin,It had run down one time before and with a fresh battery it worked fine.After the short run today I disconnected the battery again just to be safe. BHW

Posted on: 2011/5/5 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Guess its back to the books to figure out how to service the clock.

Posted on: 2011/5/5 17:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yeah, it doesnt happen all the time. But if the points were already marginal to start with, then it has a higher chance of it. A point file and a fresh fuse and you should be ticking like a clock. ;)

Posted on: 2011/5/5 17:15
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure you will find anything in the books. Put search the forms and my blogs as this have been covered a few times on how to get them ticking again.

The clock is basically a wind up mechanical clock, with a point activated electric winder. You will need to pull the dash cluster forward, and then remove the clock from the cluster to service it.

Posted on: 2011/5/5 17:18
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
That I don't know, I didn't service it during the restoration.A clock nut from work did it. All he did was clean it. And not much of that.From what he said.I can get it out no problem.I think I know what to look for.Next good day we have .... Maybe sometime in July.LOL

Posted on: 2011/5/5 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Hell, ship it to me, i'll clean it. I have a ton of solution and oil in the pen oiler left over from fixing my 50 clock. But if it needs more than minor electrical work or cleaning/oiling...i can't do more than that.

Posted on: 2011/5/5 22:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I assume you have a borg clock-do a search on borg clock repair-there is an article in old car weekly?. Basically get the clock out of the car and remove the back case. You will see a set of electrical contacts-when they close it energizes a soloneid that winds the clock for a couple of minutes. You should be able to wind it manually. If the clock does not work then get some light oil(kano sells some) and lightly oil the gears. Clean the contacts with contact cleaner and metal file. It takes a couple of times to get it working correctly

good luck

David

Posted on: 2011/5/6 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Hey guys guess what nice weather! Fix the clock!Well try.Yeah Kevin the fuse was blown.BUT I see no way to get the clock out of the cluster other than taking the whole thing apart!The clock face is the problem.My clock is not like the one in the book that just comes out. ( Of course.) B

Posted on: 2011/6/2 18:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved