Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

Patrick, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

MC conversion. NEW approach
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
deleted

Posted on: 2008/2/8 21:24
 Top  Print   

Re: MC conversion. NEW approach
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Frankly, IMHO, it sounds like a some type of Rube Goldberg machine.

Simple is always better!!!

But I do agree with you that we it would be nice to come up with some modern replacements for folks that are using their Packards as daily drivers.

Has anyone tried either a underfloor M/C setup or a underdash unit? Both would keep the unit hidden, and they can both be bought through any of the major aftermarket brake vendors. Just a though. If you look at the manual brake linkage, it acutally pushes backwards (like an underfloor setup) and then uses a lever toggle to multiple the force forward to the frame rail mounted M/C.

I would be happy to find a direct bolt in replacement for the single frame mounted manual m/c to a dual system.

Posted on: 2008/2/8 21:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Rube Goldberg YES! I agree. BUT, if u really want to see a Rube Goldberg set up take a look at a 70's thru 80's Dodge van PB set up. THAT'S where i got the idea. Does anyone think I could have come up with such an idea on my own???? Such a deal!!

Posted on: 2008/2/9 8:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
For those who must have a dual-chambered master cylinder, take a look around in hot-rod circles. I believe you'll find at least one power brake unit that is designed to replace a standard (manual) brake master cylinder that was mounted under the floor board (beneath the driver) - an arrangement that was used in many cars for many years.

Whether you wanna stick with the four-wheel drum brakes or go for two- or even four-wheel disc, that power brake unit unit should work on many Packards - EXCEPT the V8s, where space is insufficient due to torsion bars system, dual exhaust, etc.

Though it might be inconvenient to check fluid level with such an installation, I like that this unit would be mounted in a fairly level orientation. I never cared for the idea of mounting a conventional, dual-chambered master cylinder on such an angle as posed by a toe-board installation - could be a real SOB to bleed. (Except for the outlet passage, the TreadleVac hydraulic chamber appears to be self-bleeding.)

On 1954 and earlier Packards already equipped with TreadleVac/Easamatic, the smart, modular nature of the toe-board installation makes it possible to revert to a standard (manual) brake pedal set-up - provided you can find a donor with those parts.

Posted on: 2008/2/9 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Just a note of reference, the '53 Clipper manual pedal arrangement will fit the '56 Patrician chassis, I know, I've tried it. The '51-'56 chassis must all be the same in that area, so I'd imagine that it will all interchange. Even the toe boards will bolt up correctly. So, if you want to go from the Bendix DeathVac to a manual setup, just find the stuff from a '51 and up Packard, and you'll have everything you'll need. Now, it's not just as simple as a bolt on for the clutch setup, if I remember right, the linkages and everything is different from the V8 to the straight eight cars, but it can be made to work. The pedals will go right in, though.

As for the Dodge van installation, I even tried that one, and didn't have enough clearance anywhere to mount it on the firewall, and there's way too much stuff on the frame to even attempt it. I also tried a Hydroboost from a 1980 Oldsmobile Diesel, and found that it's compact nature was almost perfect for under the floor mounting. However, it put the m/c pretty much under the seat, where you can't fill it. With a little luck, I'll get it to work on the Mayfair when I get it. Won't have much vacuum with twin turbos, and I want as clean a firewall as possible.

Posted on: 2008/2/9 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Eric. If i remember rite u have a ford power unit on your Patrician????? Can u post a pic of it sometime???? How much trouble was it to install??? Can u remove the valve cover without disturbing the unit??

Posted on: 2008/2/9 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Eric. If i remember rite u have a ford power unit on your Patrician????? Can u post a pic of it sometime???? How much trouble was it to install??? Can u remove the valve cover without disturbing the unit??

Yes, yes, easy, and yes.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.75 KB)
34_47ae8e5a8d0cb.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (44.79 KB)
34_47ae8e6a63c16.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/2/10 0:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. i like it. But what about the parking brake??? I don't see the parking brake mechanism in the pic.

Posted on: 2008/2/10 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Because it's hidden under that spaghetti mess of wires.

Posted on: 2008/2/10 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. good. I think that's the conversion i'm going to start on mine right away. Can u give me some details. What vehilce is the power unit from. how did u set up the brake pedal since yours looks to be setting to the extreme left of the firewall and not centered over the brake pedal arm???
Did u have to add any reinforcement inside from firewall to dash???

Posted on: 2008/2/10 11:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved