Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 227

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Transmission cooler lines
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
The transmission cooler line to the radiator on my '50 Super Deluxe sprung a leak this evening! :( Any ideas where I could get new lines anybody?

Posted on: 2011/5/24 21:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission cooler lines
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You have to make them yourself. Any local parts store will have the line, you bend and cut them to suit, and then flare the ends for the connectors.

This is exactly the same as bending up brake or fuel hard-lines.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 21:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with BigKev, it is a simple matter to just make a new one. But hydraulic pressures to the cooler are pretty low; if the rest of the line is in good condition you could just cut out the damaged section and with the appropriate fittings and a short length of new tubing, fit in a new section. Some might suggest you could also replace the damaged section with appropriate rubber hose compatible with warm ATF and properly done that would work fine too, but I'd personally feel more comfortable with steel lines.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Oh lausey!! The lines currently in the car are rubber coated, does the line come like that?? My brother-in-law does the mechanical repairs on my car and I don't know if he is up for that!

Posted on: 2011/5/24 21:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Rubber coated? Are you sure they have just not been sprayed with undercoating?

Posted on: 2011/5/24 21:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Yes, at least the top line had a black rubber coating on it, I didn't look at the lower line. It is for sure not undercoating. The lines run along the frame on the driver's side of the car and enter the radiator near the bottom on the driver's side also.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 21:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just curious which line and where. There were several bulletins mentioning changes to the lines and fittings to eliminate noise and stress, eliminating of check valve because of sticking with the excess pressure causing breaks and other various things having to do with the tubes. The radiator cooler was eliminated entirely because of breakage issues and replaced by an external cooler kit.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 21:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
They are on the driver's side lower area (frame) and come from the transmission and go to the lower radiator same side. The leaking one is seeping red fluid down the frame and into the cradle below the radiator.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 21:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As long as it's not coming out of one of the radiator fittings and running down, perhaps tubes just vibrated or rubbed against the frame. There was a revised clamping done with insulators in strategic locations although that was for noise. The rubber over the lines probably won't be found but maybe looks could be duplicated by some rubber hose over the tubing or maybe the fabric electric loom would look reasonably close. There is a product -- Plastigrip -- that could be painted on which might work and look OK but also might be too vinyl looking.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 22:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
That is a good idea about the rubber hose and OD, I agree about the hose being steel too. The leak appears to be where a clamp type thing holds the line in place. I think it just eventually rubbed through, but what do I know! It is certain that it is not leaking from the radiator connecting parts.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 22:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved