Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Distributor Grease Cup
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Mr. Kanter,

I have yet another nubie question for you, imagine that!

My 1954 Packard Clipper Super has the Easamatic brake system which I love!

Is there a simple way to check the brake fluid level on the system? I took a cursory look at the 'Brakes' section of the '51-'54 service manual on PackardInfo.com and I didn't see a heading dedicated to this topic.

Perhaps this is something done from underneath the car when the brakes are re-lined?

Thanks for all your help and humor.

Warren Stevens

Posted on: 2011/5/30 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can do it from below but kind of hard to see so you'd have to stick your finger in the unit and feel for the level. Usual method is to get something to stand on and lean way over the left fender near the hood hinge. Under the steering column down low you should see the top of reservoir. If no one has reversed the lid, the screw on cap will be visible and accessible. Remove cap and check that fluid is almost to the bottom lip of threads. It is a good idea to keep an eye on the fluid. The units have been known to suck the reservoir dry if seals leak and a relief port has closed or been blocked. If you remove the lid or cap and see any kind of debris or chunks of solid like material floating around, it would be a very good idea to get the unit serviced and possibly rebuilt.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thank you very much, HH56. I will proceed out to the garage and take a look right now!

Warren

Posted on: 2011/5/30 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Howard,

The brake fluid appears clean and pristine, almost full. Will add an ounce or so. Will NAPA DOT3 brake fluid be ok to add or is it something special I have to put in?

Thanks for all your help!

Warren

Posted on: 2011/5/30 11:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If no one has changed the fluid to silicone over the years, dot 3 would be fine. You should verify what you have because the two are not compatible.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 11:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
oh boy! I will try to contact the guy I bought it from, but barring that, is there a way to tell by smell and/or feel?

Sorry for all these questions but I suppose a little detective work will save me some headaches. I appreciate your time and patience with me.

Warren

Posted on: 2011/5/30 11:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I expect all brands may be different but regular brake fluid usually will have a very sharp or pungent smell not like any other fluid in the car whereas the silicone will be very mild or no smell.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Howard,
I called the guy I bought the car from. He says the unit should be serviced with DOT4 for best moisture protection so I will get some of that. The sniff test of the reservoir fluid did have a glycol-ish smell like some DOT3 I have on hand so I will go with the DOT4. He mentioned that DOT3 and DOT4 should be compatible.

Thank Again!
Warren

Posted on: 2011/5/30 12:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Silicone fluid will not mix with water, if you put a drop of fluid in a glass of water.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/5/30 13:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
DOT4 will be compatible with DOT3. There is also a synthetic (not silicone) variety sold in Canada rated at DOT4 which is also compatible with DOT3. I don't see any particular benefit to it.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 13:46

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved