Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 90

Kiwi Lad, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

spacers or standoffs or cup washers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Does anyone know of a supplier for the CUP WASHERS (Packards term) that Packard used to secure chrome trim, standoff the relays used on the pushbutton and starting relays, TL solenoids, etc??
I have searched under "cup washer", standoff, spacer, etc. I cannot locate these and yet Packard used them in various situations. Any help??

Posted on: 2011/5/28 22:38
 Top  Print   

Re: spacers or standoffs or cup washers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The stud at the tail of the front parking light body on the 56th Series Senior cars utilizes a cup washer, P/N 387940 (Gr. 4.1400). That's the only one I've removed and inspected from any of my '56s.

Turns out that same P/N is also used for fender-mounted compensator solenoids (Gr. 4.2265) and a couple of body moldings.

However, a different cup washer, P/N 183962, is specified for the fender-mounted pushbutton shift and automatic park relays (Gr. 3.31446 and 3.31442, respectively) and firewall-mounted A/C relay (29.620) power window relay and breaker, power seat relay and breaker, as well as a couple of other moldings in the Body sections.

These applications appear don't appear to be highly specific to the diameter of the screw or stud Most are for #10 or #12, but I did find P/N 183962 listed for a #8 screw for a front seat side shield moulding (5682-87 models). I'm sussing then that the difference has more to do with outside diamter and or overall height.

In a pinch, I figured that I could find a cup-style core plug (for engine blocks) and drill a centered hole.

Meanwhile, here's a boatload of cup washers to choose from:

http://www.hkmetalcraft.com/Products/Catalog/Washers/CupWashers0000-3000to4701-5800CP.shtml

...but not sure f that the style/sahpe you;re looking for. The one for the parking lamp, IIRC, has a rounded top.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 9:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Excellent Brian, I've pored over dosens of sites, and this is the first that holds promise. Look at the cup washers that the PB relays are mounted on. They may be technically a different size, but to the casual eye they all look the same. The rabbit "ears" at the end of the rocker mouldings uses this style of cup washer also.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 10:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I believe I saw a listing for fender skirt (shroud) trim, as well.

Applications for those two P/Ns can be back-tracked through the parts book's Numerical Index. The part numbers, themselves (in the greater sequence of things), suggest that Packard had been using these cup washer for many years.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 10:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good find, Brian. I had no better luck than Randy did when looking last night.

Randy if you do buy some, would be interesting to know the quantities they sell. When I see mfgs sites like that, always assume the worst and try to figure what I'd do with a few thousand when I only need a dozen.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 10:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved