Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 148

53 Cavalier, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Generator cut out issues
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
I looked through the forum and I didn't see any info on how to test the generator cut out. I allowed my son to take the 29 out last night with a few friends from school. I got a call from him telling me he had very little light left and he was concerned about driving the rest of the way home. I went out to retrieve him and the Packard so I drove it. Not enough dash light to see the amp gauge. The headlights did get a bit brighter as engine speed picked up. What I did notice was a distinct "cycling" of the lights getting a bit brighter then back to dim and repeat process. We did have to hand crank the engine to life but it did get me home a few miles away.

So, when it comes to electricity am a complete moron. If someone can give me a step by step testing procedure, so simple that not only can a cave man do it but I can as well, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and everyone have a great holiday.

P

Posted on: 2011/5/29 14:25
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Re: Generator cut out issues
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Since the lights got a bit brighter when you increased engine speed, it may not be the generator at all. Sounds to me like the thermal circuit breaker on the lighting circuit. The thermal breaker will cycle but allow the headlights to function (after a fashion). I suspect you've got a short circuit.

Turn everything off on the car, and remove and then retouch one of the battery cables to the battery post. If you hear a spark or see it, and nothing is intentionally "on", you've got a short circuit.

PS - if you've got an owner's manual I suspect the interplay between the body fuse, the thermal breaker and the headlights is explained in there, it is in most of the other Packard manuals of the era that I've browsed.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 16:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Generator cut out issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Paul_K,

Check your ammeter, do you show a charge, and what is the rate?

I had a similar condition a few years back, turned out to be a battery that was old and wouldn't hold a full charge. It was enough to start the car, but after running at night with headlights it would slowly loose charge, even with the generator putting out 15 amperes.

If you have or can borrow a battery hydrometer you can easily check the condition of the battery. Most auto stores have a inexpensive one.

Regards.

Dave

Posted on: 2011/5/30 22:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved