Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 253

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fuel Pump Mythbuster #2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Rochester 4GCs are vented to the atmosphere. If my 400 sat for two weeks or longer I had to crank it a good while and keep pumping the accelerator to get it started. I checked more than once and the bowl was empty. I didn't think it drained back - it just evaporated.

My '55 Patrician sat for about a month and a half in my garage while I was hor d' combat. When I finally went out to check on it, after three accelerator pumps, she still started so fast I almost couldn't release the key fast enough.

Of course the fact that there has been almost 100% humidity and winter like temperatures in Portland during that time might have had something to do it.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 15:41
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
I think my 55 400 must leak back somehow, when I stop if I look at the fuel filter bowl I can literally see the fuel level going down slowly to about 1/3rd up the bowl where it stops...? Cranking again fills the bowl but can be awkward starting where as it used to start first turn cold or hot after being recently ran.
When left the fuel in the bowl has always evaporated over a few weeks but never used to drop like it does now...

Posted on: 2011/6/3 16:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It may leak somewhere, but I'm pretty confident in saying it can't leak "back"; the fuel inlet is above the float level so it couldn't siphon or just run out.

The 55 Rochester 4-bbl did not have a simple fixed vent to the atmosphere as the 56 models did, but had an anti-percolator valve and cap. Perhaps you should check the adjustment to make sure the valve opens as the accelerator pedal returns to rest. If not, residual heat in the engine, acting on the essentially closed fuel bowl, can pressurize the chamber and force some of the gas out the main jets and into the manifold. Instructions are in the Service Counselor and shop manual.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 17:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think perhaps he is talking about the glass fuel filter bowl that is ahead of the carb.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Sorry if it wasn't a good description, I was referring to the glass fuel filter bowl between fuel pump and carb. at the carb inlet. This can be seen to drain down.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Even if the glass filter bowl, still not sure how it can drain down, the inlet is at the top. And if it could you'd either have to have a pair of faulty check-valves in the fuel pump, or one bad valve and a ruptured diaphragm.

Are you thinking this because the glass is not always totally full of gas? If so, that's not unusual.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2011/6/3 22:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Packard V8,

Thanks thats what is happening with mine, not sure about it filling up again as I didn't leave it long enough but I could watch the level going down. I only noticed it last weekend but I know it was OK previously and the level only went down if left a few weeks I assumed from evaporation.
Think I need to pull the fuel pump, I did it about a year or so ago and replaced the diaphragm though the old one was OK, I seem to remember the valves couldn't be removed for some reason which escapes me now.
Something else for the ''to do'' list when I get back from work.

Dave UK

Posted on: 2011/6/4 16:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved