Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Crazy idea...
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BlackBeerd wrote:
These mods to the cars might have killed efficiencies, but the output of the exhaust was much better for the earth . . . the automotive industry has made great gains in efficiency while still controlling dangerous emissions.

BlackBeerd,

Maybe you missed this part:

Quote:
Those were poor applications of technology that, I have to admit, has done us a lot of good in the long haul.

And one big question I have always had, related to the old days and "killing efficiencies" is this:

Quote:
my question always was, "What was the net gain of ppm of pollutants if a car was using 1/3 more gas to travel the same distance, and burning that much more fuel?" If, for instance, the drop in emissions was 1/3 lower per gallon of fuel, it would be a wash-- except for the oil companies, where it would be a definite gain! And yet, no one ever seemed to have those numbers.

Anyone have those numbers? Maybe it was necessary to do these experiments to get where we are today with emissions, but I still wonder if in the rush to reduce emissions of bad stuff, and the resulting patchwork of "fixes" actually INCREASED overall emissions for many years, due to more gasoline being burned.

(Also, please note, I am promoting applying some of the more do-able emissions control systems to earlier model cars here.)

And Snapey, thank you for your always appropriate comments!

Posted on: 2011/12/9 22:18
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
I wouldn't call it a misapplication of technology. I was the best technology (that could be mass produced) that was available o accomplish what was needed.

It wasn't only a matter of emission per mile, but which emissions per mile.

Posted on: 2011/12/9 22:52
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
So, no real data on that then?

Posted on: 2011/12/10 17:48
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved