Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1955 Packard shocks for car with TL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information

Posted on: 2011/6/15 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Fred Kanter:
Maybe a more SPECIFIC answer like PART NUMBER and BRAND of shock. Such information is usualy used to identify parts in the automotive business.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 22:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Rowdy. THose are 56 shocks. The man from Iceland needs shocks for a 55. See:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7386&forum=3&post_id=79107#forumpost79107

Posted on: 2011/6/15 22:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Packard form I=cealnd asked in post #1:

"Now I need to buy new shocks for my Clipper.Seems to be difficult to find them if the car have TL.But Kanter auto have it available but I am not sure what I should choose
They have COIL OVER BOOSTER SHOCKS,GAS-CHARGED SHOCKS,PLEASURIDE SHOCKS.What is the correct for my 1955 Packard Clipper ? "

As I have already said, both Owen_Dyneto and I recommended gas charged shocks which is fully replying to his question.
The inquirer did not ask for part numbers,he asked which of the several lines of shocks he should buy from Kanter Auto.

But if you insist,

front PAC 455094G
rear PAC 473055G

As the car is a '55, these are '55 part numbers, teh '56 with TL uses diferent front shocks.

I apologize for not answering someone else's question the way you wanted it answered. Mind reading is not among my abilities, however reading is.

The part numbers are from the 1955-56 Packard Factory parts manual, the G suffix denotes gas. We stock them under these numbers.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Well always good to have good friends in the Packardworld.Now I can maybe buy it from other sales since I have found the Gabriel part number of these shocks I need.Can I use shocks who are for ?56 in ?55 ?

Posted on: 2011/6/16 11:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Fronts are not a direct interchange but I believe rears are. Here is a thread starting at post 3 detailing the differences.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=79107#forumpost79107 The 55 shocks are probably much easier to find locally than the 56 because of the different mount needed for 56. The Monroe numbers off their website are shown and may be available there. RockAuto lists the same numbers for both TL and standard suspension.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.78 KB)
209_4dfa3b0c7f083.jpg 588X177 px

jpg  (28.00 KB)
209_4dfa3ba5dee97.jpg 1073X217 px

Posted on: 2011/6/16 12:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Packard:

The following eBay auction lists the vehicle compatability of the 5751 front shock that HH56 (many thanks HH56) has found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONROE-Sensa-Trac-5751-FRONT-Shock-Absorber-LH-RH-/230550772293?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ade59a45

Try an ebay search for the 31125 rear.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 17:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For rear shocks for 55 and 56, I believe Gabriel 82066 (gas filled) is still an active part number, at least it was a few months ago. The rear shocks should be very easy to cross reference, as I recall 55-57 Chevrolet used the same rear shocks or at least those of the same dimensional characteristics though valving may have been a bit different.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
There is a problem with our gas-charged shocks and any other gas charged shocks. It is against Federal regulations to ship gas charged items like this by air. I neglected to keep that in mind in my earlier replies. We have extensive experience with shipping regulations.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I took the time to go to ebay and review the shocks recommended in this topic. There is a significant savings in purchasing the shocks that PackardV8 recommneds over buying thm from Kanter Auto, about $40. The other members who made suggestions the savings is about $4.

But the choice is not that clear. In Packard V8's case he recommends a shock that is WRONG which is par for the course for many of his suggestions.

So do yoiu buy the chepaer set, save $40 and get the wrong shocks or do you save $4 and get the right ones?? Or do you buy the shocks form a trusted vendor with 51 years experience and know you will always get the right shocks?? Willing to take the 50/50 chance?

Now is the choice a bit clearer??

I'm getting a bit tired of being slammed in this forum by someone who does not know what they are talking about.

Signed
Enoughalready

Posted on: 2011/6/17 7:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved