Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 178

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard 352 heads
Just popping in
Just popping in

Looznutz
See User information
I'm looking into some Packard 352 heads with an intake manifold. My question is can the 352 heads be put on the Studebaker 289? and if you can is there anything specific that you need to watch out for? Thanks

Posted on: 2008/2/18 1:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard 352 heads
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Packard and Studebaker heads are non-interchangeable. The bore spacing on the Packard is 5", way larger than the Stude. If you have a Packard block, I think I have an extra set of 374 heads, with the larger intake valves.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 2:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
While the heads may be, in fact, Packard 352" heads, I can't tell you how many times I have driven distances, cash in hand, because a seller was sure he had Packard V8 parts. All too often, the parts were from '56-58 Packards which were really Studebaker V8s. (This doesn't include the times the engines were an International V8 or a '57 Plymouth V8, which I wouldn't haul home if they were free.)

I occasionally build Studebaker V8s also. If the parts were decent, it was a good bargaining chip to give the impression I was sad the seller was deficient in knowledge and thus had wasted my time. Then, sometimes I would come home with Studebaker engines and/or parts at a bargain price.

BTW, the Studebaker V8 has 4.5" bore spacing. It is thus slightly shorter and slightly lower than the Packard V8, but overall, almost as large.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/2/18 14:25
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Looznutz
See User information
Thanks to all for your information. I guess I will not bet buying the heads now.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 4:24
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packpower
See User information
Jack Vines, thank you for the info on the Studebaker V8 bore spacing. Would you please tell me the Studebaker V8 block deck height from the crankshaft centerline to the deck?

Posted on: 2008/2/23 14:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jack, how close is the Harvester V8 to the Packard V8???? Have u done any analysis between the two such as crank, pistons etc??? What about the back of the block, flywheel and trans interchange?????

It's been many years since i worked on any Harvester V8's and only minor work and before i got involved with Packard.

Posted on: 2008/2/23 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I haven't found any interchanges from the IH family. The 392" IH does have the same 4.125" bore size as the 374" Packard, but the compression height and pin diameter is different,

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/2/24 22:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved