Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carb adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Could somebody please tell me on the Carter 2bbl for my '54 Clipper Super L8 (WGD?) which spring loaded mixture screw on the front bottom base of the carb is the high idle and which is the low idle screw? And, with that in mind, which screw should I adjust first after the engine has warmed to operating temperature, or does it matter? Also, I'm under the impression that a starting point for adjusting these screws is all the way in and seated gently against the stop, then back out the screw 1.5 turns and go from there..does that sound right? Is there something more scientific too it?

Thanks again

Posted on: 2011/6/25 10:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Carb adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Those are the idle mixture adjusting screws, one for each barrel. They are adjusted to make the mixture leaner or richer so that the car idles properly, both should end up pretty close to the same adjustment. Others here have given a good procedure for adjusting them using a vacuum gauge.

The idle speed screw is by the linkage on the carb...if you crank it in you'll notice it opens the throttle some and idles higher, and if you back it out it lets the throttle return more and idle lower.

If i recall, the "fast idle" is controlled by a cam where the idle screw touches...it makes the throttle stay open more, then rotates with the choke and when the choke opens, it lets the screw return to the warmed up idle position.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 11:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved