Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Considering
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those doors and the car were definitely made for a time without narrow parking lot stalls and you relied on street parking. Another thing I found interesting is for a typical car of the period, the size is average. My house was built in 52 and had a single car garage when I bought it. My 56 would fit and garage door could be closed IF the front bumper touched one wall. The car door (hardtop) had to open so wide to be able to get out, you could do it barely by also hugging the passenger side wall and working at it. Anything larger that came later like a big Caddy or Lincoln,--no way. There are a lot of houses in the older part of town with garages even smaller.

Guscha posted a video link a while back that while a bit more extreme, almost reminded me of that garage. At least I didn't have to line up with the house door to exit my car.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 12:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, perhaps all the old garages were built for either carriages or model A's & T's?

Length wise, my clipper only has about 18" of clearance from door to wall in my garage (circa 1956 California ranch style house).

Posted on: 2011/7/1 12:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe so -- I knew I was surprised. 50's house, 50's car, no problem right?? Wrong!! The condo I was living in before buying the house & built in the late 60's had a bigger garage --more like yours-- and a lot of the work on the car had been done in that one.

Needless to say, the old garage soon became an extra room and a 3 car garage was built. Still kicking myself because the contractor had tried to get me to make the new one 4' deeper but being stubborn and cheap, I said no.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 12:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Four extra feet would be a godsend. Then you could have the garage door closed and walk around the car.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 13:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved