Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 244

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gauges not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Guys, I have a 55 clipper resto project. I started the car up and the gauges don't work, however, the red lights on the oil and generator gauge do work. The gas gauge, temp, oil and amp gauge do not move. I checked the fuse box and everything was good. Is there any other obvious spots to check before I pull the gauges out and start checking for bad grounds?
Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2011/7/2 15:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Gauges not working
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 51-6 gauges are thermal or bimetal type and are not grounded except thru the sender. There is a voltage regulator on the back of the cluster which does need a ground and gets it through it's mounting screws. It is a rectangular can with 2 terminals centered roughly under the speedo. That supplies power to the temp and gas gauges in your case, and gets its power from the fuse labeled instrument cluster. Check for 12 volts there. The output is a nominal 5v but is a rapid pulsing voltage of 12v, 0v, 12v, 0v in an on/off cycle, the speed depending on load which gives an average of 5v to the gauges. Your meter may not be able to read that very well. If the regulator has failed and supplied a permanent 12v to gauges, they may be damaged. If 0v out and fuse is good, then regulator needs replacing. If you have a voltage on the regulator or "in" terminal of the gauges (voltage in side of gauges are tied together with a short jumper) coming from regulator, then by grounding the other gauge terminal, the gauge should move. DO NOT leave the ground attached--just keep it on long enough to see if gauge moves. If they do, then do the same thing at the sender end. If no movement, check wiring, if gauge moves you need sender. If no movement with the voltage present from the regulator, then gauges.

There is a service manual and most technical bulletins on site you can download or a wiring diagram only is herehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/wirediagrams/1955%2055th%20Series.pdf

Posted on: 2011/7/2 15:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Gauges not working
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
55 NC Clipper -

For 1955-56, all Packard and Clipper models came from the factory with temp and gas gauge, but only the Patrician Four Hundred and Caribbean models had oil and amp gauges.

In place of the oil pressure gauge and ammeter, the Clippers and the 1956 Executive were fitted with battery discharge and (low) oil pressure indicator lamps (aka - idiot lights).

The factory wiring diagrams may be a source of some confusion since they show both sets of equipment in one diagram, but its an "either...or" situation - not both.

So, unless someone has made some sort of custom modification to your '55 Clipper, you won't see any (needle) movement of an oil and amp gauge.

Posted on: 2011/7/3 9:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved