Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

engine block paint
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy B
See User information
hi all,
want to repaint my block (zero green left on it)
was wondering the code, or where I could find a close match.
Eastwood has a john deere green, looks too light.
Hope its not too hard to find a high temp match.
Its for my '52 200.
Also, anyone know the correct term for the box with the plunger straight above the brake light sender?
My car starts 8 out of 10 times. not sure if that's a problem causer.
Thanks again!

Posted on: 2011/7/12 18:37
 Top  Print   

Re: engine block paint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the 52 engine color should be gray. There are numerous threads on the subject but here is onehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=75960#forumpost75960 You can get it at most of the vendors, Kanterhttp://www.kanter.com/packard/ , Bill Hirschhttp://www.hirschauto.com/ , others. I believe there is an aftermarket tractor color someone has also mentioned as close.

Need to know more about the other item and your car. Standard brake cars, I believe you might be talking about the headlight dimmer switch as that is the only item with something that would have a plunger I can think of over in that area next to frame rail. It would be mounted to the angled area of floor near the kickpanel and visible from underneath. Powerbrake car, the brake switch is at the end of the booster setup and steering column is above it--nothing else close with a plunger. If neither sounds like what you mean, a picture would be helpful.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 18:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Your engine should be gray, not green. Bill Hirsch seems to be the one most agree has the correct color Bill Hirsch

Posted on: 2011/7/12 18:55
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Jeremy:

If your Packard motor is green then Bill Hirsch's paint will suffice.

Now let me tell you about this paint because I recently spoke to Bill about it. There was a guy we both knew years ago who knew a lot of Packard dealers and bought them out. He had shelves of brand new genuine Packard paints in the original cans. And all kinds of other stuff.

He had one can of genuine Packard green engine paint. That can was used for the product line. As far as I know nobody has been able to produce for inspection another can of genuine Packard green motor paint.

And yes this guy had lots of NOS Packard parts in different (and darker) shades of green, but the conclusion was that the paint was just old and weathered.

Years ago a car came in from Oklahoma with a motor by EC Last. He was an old time Packard Motor expert. It was restored in the early 1960's. Prior to Bill ever owning any Packards. When we opened the hood the color was a dead ringer for Bill's paint.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"Hope its not too hard to find a high temp match."

It does not have to be high temp paint for a water cooled car engine.

My 56 Packard V8 was painted some 10 years and 25K+ miles ago with Ford RM acylic enamel body paint. NO PRIMER. Paint directly onto VERY CLEAN engine. USed DuPont acylic enamel regular auto body paint on a few other misc water cooled engines.

There is NO paint (hi temp or otherwise) that will not burn off of the exhaust manifold. Or i sure can't find any.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 21:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
VHT seems to work on exhaust manifolds. It is specifically designed for the exhaust temperature. It does turn color and become dull but does not burn off.

I have found some burning of standard paints on an engine next to the exhaust manifold. There are some engine paints that are rated for a higher temperature than standard paints. I use those engine paints, if available, on cylinder heads and oil pans, wherever the temperature gets over 200F.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 10:52
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I checked my manifold, was at like 400 degrees if i recalled. Any kind of 1200 degree paint should work.

"There is NO paint (hi temp or otherwise) that will not burn off of the exhaust manifold. Or i sure can't find any."

The por15 manifold grey has worked on 4 manifolds for me so far. It's not paint per se i'm sure, but it's liquid and you brush it on and it dries and the manifolds are a different color, so hey, might as well call it paint. If you ask por15, i'm sure they'll call it "engineered ceramic liquid protective coating" or some hogwash.

Won't be engine colored though.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Your engine should be gray. I used Massey Ferguson high temp.light gray on my '52 Mayfair. It was the correct color and buying it locally saves the shipping.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 20:15
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
It is tough to measure maximum temperature of an exhaust manifold. The peak temperature occurs during full power extended operation such as racing or pulling a trailer up a hill. I have seen engines running on a dyno and the exhaust headers glow bright red under power. When you take a measurement at home with the engine idling and the hood open that is not even close to maximum temperature. Exhaust paint should be rated for over 1000 degrees.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 9:39
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy B
See User information
Thank you everyone again for the help and info!!!

Posted on: 2011/7/14 15:59
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved