Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Type of Fuse for blower switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
This is probably a easy answer but I found that I need a 20 amp fuse for the blower motor switch but when I got the ones sold in stores (metal ends and glass) it just doesn't fit. Do I need to spread the prongs or do I need to find some ceramic fuses?

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Type of Fuse for blower switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the literature, the heater should take an SFE-20 which is 1/4 x 1 1/4 . I believe the AGC 20 is the same size. Check that is the size or type you were sold. If so, perhaps someone has changed or damaged your holder. SFE category fuses are different lengths and diameters for different amps with corresponding holders so they supposedly couldn't be mixed up. Napa should have the proper fuses.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.38 KB)
209_4e24ebe08c808.jpg 696X433 px

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For anyone interested, here is a link to download a fuse chart (pdf file) showing dimensions and sizes for the old SFE fuses. www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/aftermarket-8.pdf

Posted on: 2011/7/18 22:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
Thanks for the information will have to take a trip to the parts store. I don't remember which one it was I tried to install but I ended up cracking the glass trying to get it in but with this information at least I can get the right one and work from there.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 22:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
interesting this topic is mentioned. i just came inside 'playing' with my '52. when i got my car recently the seller said the wipers don't work or the heater.
so i read here on the site about the wipers and followed your advice. i have gotten some action, not much though. but i did learn something. so i will keep working on that.

today i got the blower to work on and off, but now nothing/.
but at least i know the motor works. i cleaned the wire connectors that went from the motor to the outside of the carb. i cleaned real good with fine sand paper and reconnected real tight. thought that would do it, but would not start again.
the toggle swithch on the heater control on dash is gold plastic that says made in china with 3 connectors , but only 2 wires clamped to it. i read in the manual where it says fuse type i will re check that again later. I guesss the next step is to test the switch.

BTW I LOVE to play with this car.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 20:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds like your heater switch has been played with. This is what it should look like. This is one Kev may still have for sale. If already gone, packards1 has an NOS identical switch on his ebay store (it is listed as a 55-56 torsion level on/off switch. The fuse should be in a metal tube like holder near the switch but if switch has been changed so may have been the fuse holder.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.25 KB)
209_4e26345ea913f.jpg 462X468 px

Posted on: 2011/7/19 20:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hello. wow . it is so helpful to see this pic. i really apprecaite your help. i know the fuse is there in the tube holder and i have a fuse close by for the radio. so this should not be too much trouble.
thanks

Posted on: 2011/7/19 20:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
If that is what my blower switch is meant to be I don't know where mine came from. Was there any option for a pull switch as the one that is currently in my vehicle. It has a three stage pull I though was a low, med, and high. You learn new things all the time.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.18 KB)
3759_4e266b8257097.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (51.37 KB)
3759_4e266cd48e6de.jpg 540X720 px

Posted on: 2011/7/20 0:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hi stan. yes, yours looks differ. than mine. my car has a toggle switch. and i just found a new one on ebay described and listed just the way HH56 said it would be.He wants about 20 bucks though. that's okk i guess. i don't need it right away though.

Posted on: 2011/7/20 1:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

oregonstan wrote:
...Was there any option for a pull switch as the one that is currently in my vehicle...

The Owners Manual describes a single level blower (no high/low) and shows the toggle switch. There is a list of accessories in the back of the manual but no mention of a multi-level switch for the blower.

Posted on: 2011/7/20 8:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved