Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 144

DM37, RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: pilot bearing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Could you not have a pilot bushing made? I know a bearing is supposed to be better, but millions of transmissions have gotten by with bushings, and likely with more abuse and wear and tear than your packard is likely to see.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You might want to give Olcar Bearing a call. Don't have his contact info handy right now, but he advertises. Good source for bearings and seals not readily available from the usual sources.

(o{I}o)

Edit: Olcar Bearing Company, George P. Bachleda, 136 James Creek Road, Southern Pines, NC 28387, 910.693.3324, brgdr@earthlink.net

Posted on: 2011/7/26 10:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have a similar situation. I used a 327 crank and rods in my 288. The 327 had an automatic; the 288 a 3 speed. I tried all of the local shops in town with no sucess on finding a new bearing - it is a weird size. So I pulled the old bearing out of the 288 crank using an old "finger" type puller, where you insert it in the bearing, and tighten the puller until the fingers expand, and gave it a good tug. It pulled the bearing out with no damage. Cleaned it and regreased it and put in the the 327 auto crank. It is working fine. Let me know if you would like a photo of the bearing puller. It's different from any new one I've seen. (it's about 50 years old)

Posted on: 2011/7/27 13:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved