Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

Rscott77x, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Is adding air conditioning an unobtainable myth?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Are u sure the new 2 ring pulley will fit???

Posted on: 2011/7/22 16:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2011/7/22 16:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
A 3/4 shot of the compressor from the front AND a 3/4 shot of the CRANK pulley from the rear that came with the kit mite clear up alot of confusion. Or has everyone else except me seen or figured out yet what his kit looks like???

Posted on: 2011/7/22 16:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I'd like to say I'm not confused----but I am.

I have acquired an actual v-8 Packard A/c pulley to replace my standard pulley.

I have a bracket for the Sanden compressor.

I DO NOT have a bracket for the alternator.

Please note that the Nordstrom bracket involves moving the alternator to the other side, which is not workable here.

The pulley seems like it would fall off if the bolt was removed. Or is it more complex than that?

A 3/4 shot of the compressor from the front AND a 3/4 shot of the CRANK pulley from the rear that came with the kit mite clear up alot of confusion. Or has everyone else except me seen or figured out yet what his kit looks like???

What kit? This is a random assembledge of stray parts, although the compressor, evap and condenser were bought together.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 23:11
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not knowing what your compressor bracket looks like or where you are mounting the compressor makes definitive answers a bit difficult. The several home made, aftermarket and factory brackets shown on a few systems just in this one thread from before and after the meet over the last few days have things mounted all over the place. There are many other systems in other threads equally different.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=81770#forumpost81770

If you are mounting the alternator in the standard generator spot, the bracket cortcomp posted or a universal like it will bolt to the original generator bracket holes and can be adjusted for the alternator front/back to line the belt up.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Packard pulley. The bolt is on quite tightly but removing it will let the extra pulleys fall off. As mentioned, the vibration damper stays keyed to crankshaft and the extra pulleys just slip into detents and recesses in the vibration damper and/or PS pulley.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.83 KB)
209_4e2a4c41d665a.jpg 790X578 px

jpg  (78.10 KB)
209_4e2a4c67aa295.jpg 725X572 px

Posted on: 2011/7/22 23:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56 gives good advice above.
The only thing i will add is that the power steering pulley may or may not "just fall off". It mite require some minimal coaxing with a pry bar.

HH56 also indicates using the alternator bracket that Cortcomp has used and IIRC Cortcomp posted a pic of it a few days ago.

Sounds to me like u now have what it takes to proceed.

Please keep us posted.

Just out of curiosity is the 2 row Packard crank shaft pulley cast iron or aluminum????

Posted on: 2011/7/23 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Just out of curiosity is the 2 row Packard crank shaft pulley cast iron or aluminum????
Cast iron and a lot of it.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/7/23 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Cast iron and a lot of it.

+1

Posted on: 2011/7/23 21:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Patgreen
Do u have the air con installed and working or what???

Posted on: 2011/9/7 16:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
No.

Nobody wants to touch it.

More to the point, I'm caught up in replacing the oil pump, which seems to come first. Strangely, that doesn't faze anyone.

As to air....

Have the bracket, the pulley, the condenser, the compressor, a six bladed fan which may be made to fit (nobody knows but all have speculated) an alternator (waiting for bracket) and an underdash whatever you call it that I may sell since it seems dubious for fit.

It's a strange world in some ways: the regular mechanics just seem to want regular jobs where (seemingly) little original thought is required. Conversely those with a little broader approach seem to think they are worth two to six times book times and at a higher rate.

Several have made a point that they aren't busy so need to charge more, which is at odds with my economic approach.

Then again, the high today is 63 degrees.......

Posted on: 2011/9/7 17:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved