Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Master Cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, I will talk to Wendell and ask him to post something here.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/1 14:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Just got off of the phone with Wendell. He sells two types of remote fill kits, one for the power brake and one for the standard brake master cylinders. He was not sure of the latest price, but believes it to be $80. You may contact him at:

Wendell Spreadbury
936-564-0620
spreadbury@suddenlink.net

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/1 14:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

schockme
See User information
I have a 1953 Packard Cavalier sedan with power Easa Matic Power brakes.....it's been sitting for a couple of years and when I started it, I noticed the brake pedal going all the way to the floor. I realize a simple brake bleed might fix the problem, but I wanted to locate the Master Cylinder fill plug first. It's usually located in front of the driver's seat on the floorboard, but I cannot find the darn floorboard entry or plug. Please advise where the MASTER CYLINDER FILL PLUG is from inside the car. On my other Packard 3 speed stick, the hole in the floor board is obvious. I looked under the hood of the sedan, found the master cylinder but no entrance from inside the car?????? I cannot imagine that Packard would make you fill the master cylinder from under the car. please advise......schockme@ix.netcom.com
thanks in advance for any help you offer. I have worked on cars for years and am feeling stupid that I cannot locate the inside floor board entrance area to fill the master cylinder from inside the car.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 16:07
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

schockme
See User information
thank you......why didn't packard make an entry level from inside the car to check the master cylinder? I have a 53 Cavalier with power brakes....am very frustrated.....do some folks cut a hole in the floorboard to gain access to the master cylinder fill plug? is there a remote kit that is sold for those of us fellows who might want access to the master cylinder fill plug? advise....thanks...Dr. Ken

Posted on: 2012/7/27 16:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The master cylinder is accessed from under the hoodl. Look down from the front driver's side fender towards the base of the steering column. You'll find the filler cap there, picture enclosed from someone else who asked the same question a week ago on another forum. You might want to remove the flexible fresh air duct to get best access to it.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.13 KB)
177_5013067ac81ee.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/7/27 16:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Dave, tell him where the vent hole in the cap is located.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 16:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
If your car has Ultramatic, just wait until you try and find the transmission check/fill port.

It's under the car too. If I jack my '51 up just a little I can just squeeze under enough to get to it. Good motivation for losing weight.

While we're talking about remote fills for the brakes, will the '54 Ultramatic pan with tube and dipstick fit on the '51?

Posted on: 2012/7/27 16:54
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
The 1954 Ultramatic pan with dipstick will not fit a none gear start transmission as it is to shallow

Posted on: 2012/7/27 17:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

56executive wrote:
The 1954 Ultramatic pan with dipstick will not fit a none gear start transmission as it is to shallow

RATS ! ! ! !

Oh well, yet another reason to stop the late night ice cream raids. Either that or finish the lube pit.

Thank you for the quick end to my hopes....

Posted on: 2012/7/27 17:11
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was a loooooong thread last year about the possibility of adding an accessible dipstick & tube to the regular ultras. Many suggestions with the current Locar or similar setup mentioned several times.

One downside I felt to Locar was size of fill tube and with just about all methods was the need to drill the pan for them. Since the current setup is press in, I still think there might be other options possible. GM aftermarket style tubes are press in. Some sort of adapter could be made to fit in the existing tube in place of dipstick or in the original hole in the casting. Should be possible to bend a tube to our needs and calibrate a dipstick to proper level.

Possibly a brass turning with O rings that could be removed if the next owner wanted original. If someone with the car, the want, and the tools wanted to prove or disprove, might be a nice project.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 17:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved