Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 230

39Rollson, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

374 with Dual Intake Manifold Question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ssaeger
See User information
Guys...any suggestions on where I could get a set of carburetors for my 374. I have the dual intake manifold and am having some difficulty finding carburetors for this as I am new to the Packard game.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted on: 2011/8/4 12:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 374 with Dual Intake Manifold Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Welcome, Steve,

FWIW, the OEM P/N 2x4 Rochester carburetors are very rare and very expensive.

For $300-400 each, a professional carb shop, such as Daytona or Nowlan's Carburetor & Ignition, 433 E Sprague Ave, Spokane, WA 99202, (509) 624-8524, can rebuild a pair of regular Rochesters to nearly the same specifications for you.

Then, you'll have to fabricate the linkage, lines, shields and air cleaner.

If you don't care about looking original, just use a pair of Carter/Edelbrock 1405 500 CFM carbs and aftermarket air cleaners. IIRC, the reproduction early Corvette 2x4 can be used.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/8/4 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I would rely on a profesional like Daytona to choose and calibrate carbs. with a dual carb setup inplaceof a single its' easy to have the car "overcarbureted" which will give sluggish performance at lower speed and great performance at very high speeds.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 14:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ssaeger
See User information
Jack..thanks for the information. I am not worried about an original appearance at all on these, just looking for something that will fit the bolt pattern on the manifold. I took the gasket that came off the manifold to Jegs to look at a carburetor but it didnt fit the gasket (the manifold gasket off the intake was narrower than what I looked at). The carburetors I looked at are designed for a dual 4 barrel set up, but as I said the bolt pattern on them were too large.

I dont have any carburetors for this engine so I dont have anything to have rebuilt so I am stuck looking for something to place on the engine.

Steve

Posted on: 2011/8/4 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
As I said above, I wold rely on Daytona to choose and calibrate carbs. I believe they have a stock of cores. If you just want carbs that fit the manifold, we have 25000+ carbs in stock, many with that base

Posted on: 2011/8/4 16:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ssaeger writes:
" The carburetors I looked at are designed for a dual 4 barrel set up, but as I said the bolt pattern on them were too large."

That problem was addressed by JV:
"If you don't care about looking original, just use a pair of Carter/Edelbrock 1405 500 CFM carbs and aftermarket air cleaners. IIRC, the reproduction early Corvette 2x4 can be used."

Posted on: 2011/8/4 17:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's one way to do it (Paul's 1956 Exec in Las Vegas) using Edelbrock 500s with no adapter:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/8/4 18:05
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ssaeger
See User information
Thanks guys...I appreciate the information and now know what to get. One of the things I love about these boards is all the help that is available.

Steve

Posted on: 2011/8/5 6:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved