Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 135

Tobs, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

No spark to coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Trying to get this 53 packard started , I think its the solenoid. I have no spark to coil or wire. I think I will have the starter check too, it turns the motor but no spark. Where do you get brushes for the starter? I have new points, condser, made a new wire for the distributor to coil, new distributor cap, plugs and rotor New battery and cables. Did I miss anything.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 12:23
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: No spark to coil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
You should have spark even with a starter that is weak. I suggest you do search on this site as it has been discussed many times before but I'll get you started...
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7439&forum=4&post_id=79666#forumpost79666

Do you have power to the coil's ignition terminal? If so start by checking that the points are installed correctly and adjusted. You should be able to induce a coil spark by manually opening and closing the points. Your points to coil wire may be grounded.
Starter brushes can be purchased from the Packard parts suppliers such as Kanter and Max Merritt etc.
Remember service manuals are available free for download also and are a great help in diagnosing problems.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 12:31

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are you sure you are getting power to the coil?? If not trace it back to the ignition switch.

Also verify your ground connection between the coil and the distro.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 12:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The coil is fed directly from the ignition switch on one terminal so you should have 6 volts present measured to ground. If the points are open, you should have 6 volts on the other terminal of coil as well. Points closed, 0 volts at the wire to distributor side but points should open when cranking and meter should jump. That is the first thing I would check and verify you have voltage and nothing has been shorted in the distributor. There have been reports of faulty condensers or the fabric covered wire inside the distributor connecting the points to the outside distributor terminal being shorted.

If battery cables are dirty or have been replaced, high resistance or too small a cable will result in a lot of voltage drop and there may not be enough to fire the coil. When cranking, the voltage at coil should not drop more than a volt if even that. Lower voltage would indicate a problem.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 12:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I agree with HH56. Check the little fabric covered wire inside the distributor. Last year that proved to be source of my problem.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 13:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

packards1 wrote:
I agree with HH56. Check the little fabric covered wire inside the distributor. Last year that proved to be source of my problem.

I had a similar problem several years ago. The cloth covered wire was grounded on the distributor body.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
When you mean inside the distrubtor, you mean under the metal plate where the points sit. There is no wire other than the condensor wire that I hooked up under the cap that you can see with the cap off.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 16:33
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Is there no wire from the point set to the outside of the distributor? I'll see if I can post a photo unless someone beats me to it. Note wire from points to outside of distributor. That wire goes to coil (negative terminal in your car if still neg. ground).

Attach file:

jpg  (37.09 KB)
13_4e3f09de2c7dd.jpg 500X432 px

gif  (46.17 KB)
13_4e3f09eec7806.gif 350X396 px

Posted on: 2011/8/7 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Sounds like he has the autolite type that i have, where the whole distributor housing rotates. We just had a thread about the correct assembly of those for someone else, and my thread with lots of pics:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7600&forum=2&post_id=81679#forumpost81679

Posted on: 2011/8/7 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
I have a autolight system. Does the outside points wire hook to the + side of coil. Thats what the manual pic shows

Posted on: 2011/8/7 17:09
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved