Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: No spark to coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I believe so. If you have the coil wired backwards it will still work, just not as powerful spark and not as efficiently.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 17:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the normal positive ground, then the + side of coil would go to distributor and - side to the ignition switch.

You should have a very flexible cloth covered wire between the outside terminal and the points and condenser wire screw. Will look something like one of these only probably be black.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.06 KB)
209_4e3f161403b3d.jpg 723X600 px

Posted on: 2011/8/7 17:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
"You should have a very flexible cloth covered wire between the outside terminal and the points and condenser wire screw. Will look something like one of these only probably be black."

That is not the case on 48-54 autolite distributors, the whole housing turns, so there is no flex needed so that the breaker plate can turn to advance. There is a little tab with a screw on the outside of the distributor that the wire connects to, and it is a solid connection inside to where the points/condensor connect to.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 19:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the info. All the cars I've had have been Delco's or Autolites with the regular internal advance so haven't come across that particular arrangement up close. In the parts manual, I see a ground wire on the outside. Where does that attach or how does the dist get a good solid ground if the whole assy rotates?

Posted on: 2011/8/7 19:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Ground wire goes from housing to the vacuum advance can/mount if i recall. It seems to get decent ground from the metal brackets that hold it and are bolted to the motor.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 21:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
ok got fire going into the coil - side, fire coming out the + side to dist. No fire coming out of points. Here are some pics. Thanks to the resize person who put that link on here, it works great for my pics.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.22 KB)
3750_4e3feb7689cf3.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (132.20 KB)
3750_4e3feb9972f73.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/8/8 8:59
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps I am not understanding correctly but you say fire into the coil (-) side and fire coming out the (+) side to dist, presume you mean voltage. If so, then you should also have the voltage at the wire terminal into dist because it is a solid wire. I kind of lose you at "no fire coming out of the points." If that is the case and there is no voltage at the dist, I would look carefully at the wire and connections from coil to dist. If you do have voltage at the distributor, that would indicate the points are open which in looking at your picture does not seem to be the case. If they are closed, and you have voltage, perhaps they have oxidized from sitting or the distributor does not have a good ground.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 9:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreeing with HH56, those points look very oxidized. Run a point file thru them and redo your diagnostics.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 9:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Let's check the basics too...are the points opening when the cam lobe comes around to bump them or are they perhaps maladjusted?

Posted on: 2011/8/8 10:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

cortcomp wrote:
Let's check the basics too...are the points opening when the cam lobe comes around to bump them or are they perhaps maladjusted?

Very good point but I think first still need to resolve the question from the earlier post ---ok got fire going into the coil - side, fire coming out the + side to dist. No fire coming out of points--- whether there is fire at the coil + terminal and points terminal at the same time. If there is, then start looking at the points closely. If not, then find out why not.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved