Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 228

dallas, Bob J, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 patrician front end job
Just popping in
Just popping in

jack\'s 56 patrician
See User information
Ouch, the bushings are rotted on my 56 Patrician. How extensive should a front end job be? Where can you get all the parts? I know someone who has the special tool (thank goodness). I live in LA, where or who would take on such a project. I don't have endlessly deep pockets so I hope to have some options. Any suggestions about what all parts I should get what I might not need and what I might leave out.

This forum has been a great help in the past. You all have been great in the past and I would appreciate any help you can give.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 17:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 patrician front end job
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are some modern bushings available and listed in the x-ref at the bottom of the suspension page bushing for the 56 which many of us have used. I believe RockAuto was the least expensive anyone has found so far but they are common items & should be available at any good parts store. You will also need a press to do it properly, although I am sure people have gotten around that in various ways. The procedure in the manual works well and the special spreader tools they show are easily made or alternatives can be found. They are there to make sure the A arm is not distorted when pressing the bushing. Otherwise, it is basically removal and replacing making sure to keep to any dimensions mentioned.

Although not in LA, Custom Auto in Santa Ana is probably one of the best known Packard service places in the area -- although I have no idea of their prices.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 18:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How extensive should a front end job be? Where can you get all the parts?

Any parts with excessive wear or free play, or obviously damaged as noted by a thorough visual inspection should be replaced. You can buy "kits" from Kanter Bros and probably others of the national Packard vendors as well. If you just need a few individual parts you will have more sources to choose from.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 18:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I had my upper control arm bushings replaced this last spring. At the same time, the front sway bar was removed, one bracket straightened, new rubbers installed and the whole thing rewelded.

I borrowed the torsion bar tool from a friend, but have no idea if they actually used it.

My bushings came from NAPA per the X-ref (actually for a Lincoln) They seem to work fine.

Roughly $700 if I recall correctly.

Rides a bit better and sits a bit higher. No terrible metal to metal thunks either.

Posted on: 2011/8/13 23:53
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved