Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 356 Crank in 327/359
Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
John, this sounds like a fasinating project - but if it were me I'd just buy a Honda... LOL

I am not sure how much you would win from a longer stroke engine. Yes, they produce more torque at lower revs but that doesn't mean they use less fuel - in fact given that you have increased the capacity of the cylinder they should use more fuel. I guess it would depend on how you drove it. I would have though that effort spent on valve sizes, cam profile, head and manifolds would produce better results. Or you could run it on propane...

Posted on: 2011/8/17 8:18
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I think best investment for dollar per mpg is a nice overdrive tranny...3 speed on the cheap, or a 5 or 6 speed if you wanted to really spend a couple extra bucks.

With the ultramatic, it really seems like you have to floor it to get moving, then it cruises great at 50-55, then on the highway i wish i had another gear. 2/3rds of the time (and about 90% of my mileage) i feel i'm wasting fuel by not having the right gear setups.

I would think a 700r4 would be great ratios for a Packard straight eight.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Plenty of universal 4 and 2bbl propane adapter kits out there! If only the filling stations were as common as other places...

Posted on: 2011/8/17 9:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear cortcomp:

As stated elsewhere around here, I knew an old timer who managed to collect enough NOS parts to build a brand new 359. He also put an OD stick shift behind it.

The performance was very impressive and I don't think it would have any trouble taking on the equivalent Chrylser Hemi.

That car was brawny.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved