Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Parts Supply houses
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If fan has slots, then it won't work. Ideally, if someone were interested in the possibility of trying it, they would call the company and find out. As I said, looking at Kevins fan it looked similar but just an idea thrown out for consideration. I don't need a fan so not going to mess with it. And I don't disagree about the adapter. It would be a good way to go with many more options but if an adapter is not wanted by a buyer -------.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 21:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
If this discussion is on the V8 then why not remove the water pump, easy project, and have machinist turn down shaft to Mopar or whatever fan hub specs. Can always go back to original size with new pump.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
All I can say about this is that the washer spacers work just fine. Why complicate things with some sophisticated modification that will not accomplish anything different? Do what you feel is necessary, but my solution works for me, and very well I might add.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/17 21:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

rowdy wrote:
If this discussion is on the V8 then why not remove the water pump, easy project, and have machinist turn down shaft to Mopar or whatever fan hub specs. Can always go back to original size with new pump.

Certainly doable and was given as an option (along with washers) on the other thread. Only downsides would be no center support for anyone not comfortable relying on the mounting bolts only and then, If a user had my luck, 2 weeks after paying for the hub to be machined, pump would go out so would have to pay again to have the hub transferred or recut.

I think Keith and I both agree on the spacer and I think it would be a good project for a region--particularly if the 51-4 pumps need the same 1 1/4" hole size (which I don't know). There is already a machinist in the picture apparently willing to look at the idea.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 21:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JW. I remeber your method but don;t remeber how u centered the fan. Just centered it by eye???? If it works then it works. Sounds like the best solution yet.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 21:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Problem wit h machining the pump hub is mounting the entire water pump assembly in a lathe. Terrific set up time and the hub would have to be dogged to the pump housing to keep it from freewheeling in the pump when the tool bit hit it.. I would be against any disassembly of the pump.

Using a mill and rotary index table is again terrific set up time.

Both methods qould require atleast a 12" lathe maybe larger and a rather large rotary index if mill cut.

Just TOO labour intensive.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 21:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I just ran downstairs and checked my 56 Exec.
It has about a 1/2 to 5/8 inch spacer and after market 6ix blade fan. What i believe to be a oem aluminum AC pulley on harmonic balancer.

HOWEVER i have only about 3/4" fan blade to AC belt clearence. So without spacer the fan would be extrmemly close if not interfereing with AC belt.

So maybe the aftermarket 6ix blade fan has alot more pitch than OEM Packard 6ix blade fan????

Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
JW. I remeber your method but don;t remeber how u centered the fan. Just centered it by eye???? If it works then it works. Sounds like the best solution yet.

Keith, since the mounting holes are slotted and at a diagonal, they are self-centering. The thickness of the washer spacers I used were just enough to get the fan away from the hub, still have center support from the hub and the attaching bolts. There was no warping of the fan mounting in the method I used. So far it is working great - smooth and true. Don't understand others reluctance to at least give it a try. Cheap and easy.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:08
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JW. Does your car have Air conditioning????

Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Keith, No it does not have AC nor does it have PS, PB, T-U, and T-L. No power equipment or accessories except the radio aerial.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:23
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved