Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Tire Recommendations?
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The Cooper made radials are the ones I bought so far I'm more than satisfied with the look, road manners of the tires much better than bias tires in my view. The white walls are easy to remove dirt or I should say road dust

Posted on: 2011/8/30 14:22
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
I was surprised to see the difference in height between the Diamondback 225-75-15 Fury tires (made by Cooper) and the bias ply Coker Classics 7.6 X15 that were on my car. I haven't had them mounted yet - but it seems like a big difference that will affect ride height noticeably.

The Diamondback rep assured me that the 225 75 15 was as close to the original size as possible.

Attach file:

jpg  (86.45 KB)
3931_4e790b6711adb.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2011/9/20 16:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
It looks like these tires are not yet mounted on rims. If so, you are comparing apples to oranges to some degree.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 17:41
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
yes - neither tire pictured is mounted on a rim. I guess that some of the difference would be erased if the radial gets a lot taller when inflated, and the bias ply doesn't. We'll see - I am having the wheels stripped and repainted before mounting the tires, so it may be a week or two.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
I went with the size you did and no the radial doesn't get taller. Made my speedo app. 7-10 mph fast (78mph actually 70mph). If anyone that has done this swap and wants their speedo corrected there is a vendor in Fl,
Rowand Speedometer Co., Clearwater, Fl 727-410-6352 that makes an adapter re-geared to correct speedo. I have not ordered yet in anticipation of a trans adapter kit for GM tranny this year.

ps: I believe you will like the ride.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 21:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
Thanks for the info. I'll consider the adapter. I'll report back - but I am guessing the ride will be great. The ride was pretty good in with the bias ply - but I felt that they were awful in the rain, and the tended to follow any grooved pavement. They complained a bit going around turns too.

I was surprised to find that only one of the four wheels had any wheel weights at all. It was pretty smooth until about 65-70 mph.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 18:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
I too am about to switch to radials for my 54. What was the proper width whitewall used in 1954? I thought I read somewhere that they were getting away from the full width whitewall by then.

Thanks

Posted on: 2011/9/24 6:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might consider going to the Photo Archive and looking at some factory photos of 1954 cars with whitewalls. Certainly the very narrow (about 1 inch) whitewall didn't come along for another 2 years.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
54clipper, that was my exact description of the bias plys on my 50. Especially the rain and tight turns, and following grooves.

Afterwards, it WAS an amazing difference in ride (bumps didn't seem as "sharp") AND handling, those groove issues were gone.

To describe it, the 50 now feels like driving an 80's Cadillac. It stops just as well, and although the steering takes more effort, not too much more with the big wheel.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 8:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On the Clipper models they came standard with Black Wall tires. White Wall tires were an extra option.

Right now I have "el-chepo" black walls on mine just to make it a roller. 215-75r15 I believe I am running. Probably will go to a 225 next time.

One thing is that radials have a much larger contact patch then ply-bias tires, so they are a bear to turn while parked without power steering. But effortless as soon as the car has any forward speed.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 10:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved