Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 100

Alvin14, kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Pressure sender
Just popping in
Just popping in

don1260
See User information
Is there a special way to get the oil pressure sender out? My pressure is dipping down to zero when I stop my car and stop light ETC. I want to take a pressure check but have been unable to figure out a way to get the sender out. When the car is moving the pressure is between 11 and 1 o'clock. Thanks for any help....

Posted on: 2011/8/29 12:40
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Pressure sender
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
As I recall, the sender has a square shank under the unit. put the appropriate size wrench (1/2??) on it and wrench away

Posted on: 2011/8/29 13:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Don1260:

According to the manual, oil pressure gauge should read around Half at 40mph using 20w oil. At idle (especially if set below 500 rpm) oil pressure is likely to fall below 10psi which will be very low on the gauge.

If your lifters are staying quiet at sustained idle then you probably are doing okay.

You can make a tool to get at the sender by making a long crow foot out of a combo wrench. Then cut a slot in a socket to fit over the box end and use a T-handle. Those senders can be a bear and can break off in the block so be careful.

Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 17:43
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

don1260
See User information
Thanks for the replies! It was a 9/16. Last time I saw one was 1965 or so....didn't remember how it looked underneth. It was a bear getting out. Had to unhook a couple of things to get to it. I finally used one of those stubby wrenches and it worked good. Thanks again.....

Posted on: 2011/8/30 12:20
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved