Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 214

DJP-37-120, kg911, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: powdercoat harmonic balancer?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i think it was just the new seal and crack fix.

Hank

i did look up damper dudes, but didn't see any pricing, i'll call them.

but if that is how much it costs...this motor wont be running anytime soon thats for sure.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/9/19 13:05
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:
i think it was just the new seal and crack fix.

Hank

i did look up damper dudes, but didn't see any pricing, i'll call them.

but if that is how much it costs...this motor wont be running anytime soon thats for sure.

Hank
You're right, I found the post & Jack just does the reinforcing and seal.

As long as nothing is obviously about to fail, you can always finish and start the engine while you save up. Just have it done before putting so much on the car that will have to be removed again, it becomes a PIA to remove the damper.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 13:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
is this possible...will the rubber survive the oven?

i'm thinking i'm going to want to powerder coat all my under hood black parts....but i'm concerned that the harmonic balancer wont survive the oven afterwards....even thought the under hood temps are probably in the 200s or more....but the ovens are higher for powdercoating i'm pretty sure.

thanks and sorry if this is a silly question.

Getting back to the original, not-so-silly, question, why even bother with powdercoating in this case?

The balancer really isn't subject to high temperatures in normal operation. If baking temperature is an issue, why not coat the cleaned/refurbished part with good old POR-15, then top-coat in the color and compatible finish of your choice? IIRC, you've used POR-15 product elsewhere on the Clipper, no?

I've had results ranging from good to excellent with POR-15 and related product. However, if you don't read, understand and follow their direction, you'll be disappointed (and might even ruin some equipment).

Posted on: 2011/9/19 17:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I used eastwoods product not por15 and I like the idea of powder coating cause it is way more durable and I cant tell the difference on my rims (powdercoated). I liked the results on the rims, so I thought why not under the hood too. Just thinking is all. I'm sure a good underhood black from Eastwood would be just as good but maybe not as scratch proof or what not.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/9/19 19:56
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
On the subject of harmonic balancers, mine was done some several years ago by Damper Doc. As I recall, the price was in the $100 range.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2011/9/28 12:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks!

according to their website it is 178 for a 56 374" and 276 for a 55 352.

this makes now sense to me...aren't they identical balancers?

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DD&Category_Code=PAC

Posted on: 2011/9/28 13:10
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd ask them a question on why the differences. They list 2 prices and 3 different shipping weights for the 3 engines yet the parts book only has one damper for all 55-6 engines.

Posted on: 2011/9/28 13:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved