Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Question re V8 factory air
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A question on the molded foam rubber like pieces used as air ducts and maybe the fan coupling on these units. Wonder if anyone has an unrestored factory unit & could advise as to the material and thickness of the piece in the engine compartment shown in top photo.

This restored unit shows a very thin piece -- almost looks like sheet rubber. The molded ducts in the bottom photo are a foam rubber like material and about 3/8" thick. Is the thin material correct and is it sheet rubber or should it be the same thicker stuff as interior ducts.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.46 KB)
209_4e82972976ce9.jpg 413X650 px

Posted on: 2011/9/27 22:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Question re V8 factory air
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
PM sent

Posted on: 2011/9/28 8:29
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
HH,

From the factory A/C units I have seen, yes the thin rubber is used.

It has been suggested to me to buy an inner tube and cut to fit.

Posted on: 2011/9/28 13:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for info. I have only seen it on a well used car and that was torn & looked like sheet rubber or maybe the inner tube. Split or torn and was held on by baling wire. Used the sheet rubber again when I worked on the car many years ago but just didn't look right with the slightly different size and angles between blower and dash openings. Recently cast one out of urethane foam when I did the inside ducts but made it thick. If it's supposed to be thin, will probably make another about half as thick.

Posted on: 2011/9/28 14:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Here is the reply I received from friend Chris.
"Randy,The blower housing is a preformed molded rubber with no seam.I would have to look at to get diamentions but it is the same thickness as an automobile inner tube.Thats what I used.The duct work is like a thick molded rubber but heaver than foam and that is why Packard had the 6 inch wire extention for the rear speaker.Chris"
I hope this helps a little Howard. I attached pics of Chris Caribbean with A/C.

Attach file:

jpg  (143.74 KB)
23_4e83df9c4b9ee.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (144.31 KB)
23_4e83dfac3583b.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (129.63 KB)
23_4e83dfdac08b6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/9/28 22:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks Randy. I made the first one 3/8 thick like the ducts but will redo to 3/16 or so. The urethane I used on the ducts is flexible foam but may be somewhat more dense. It skins over to make a smooth surface. I think it looks and feels virtually identical to the originals so all in all, I was very pleased with those. Now if I can just get the dash top ducts and glovebox to come out as well.

Posted on: 2011/9/28 22:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Would you please post information on the foam -- brand and source? It sounds like an excellent material to work with.

Thanks,
Bernardi

Posted on: 2011/9/28 22:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here it is..http://www.reynoldsam.com/Rigid-and-Flexible/c10_1121/index.html

The one I used for the ducts was the Flexfoam-iT 17. Also used their black pigment. One word of caution when using this stuff. When they say it sticks to almost anything, take heed. I used fiber board for the molds and thank goodness I experimented a bit first with some scraps. Wound up covering the forms with aluminum tape & then followed their instructions and used both the Sonite wax and the Ease Release 2831. Because of the turns and angles in the form, it would have been a lost cause without all 3. For the 3 duct pieces I did, one trial size was enough.

EDIT: I think Reynolds is a dealer out here. The Smooth-On main office is closer to you.http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-Flexible/c10/index.html

Posted on: 2011/9/28 23:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
HH56 -

Thanks for the info. I'll archive it for future reference.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2011/10/1 18:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved