Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 231

Billh40, todd landis, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Electro Boost from ABS
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hi Guys:

has anyone installed the Electro boost system, from ABS, on their packard. I thought I read somewhere they did, but can't find it. If so, how do you like it? My packard is a 54 but has been converted to 12v. So this might be a viable option,

I am looking for a system that requires the least amount of hacking. In case I choose to sell. It appears that Craig's Panther project (I've already read the benifits of that system). And the Electro boost, might fit the bill.

I am also contemplating repairing the Treadle Vac. But my harrowing experience scares me on that one. Sorry guys, I don't mean to open a can of worms.

Thanks

Posted on: 2011/10/5 9:27
1954 Packard Pacific
1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
 Top  Print   

Re: Electro Boost from ABS
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To the best of my recollection, there were possibly two installs. Jed on the east coast (maybe) and Mat in Australia.

Haven't seen Jed on the forum for some time (If I remembered the correct name and he's the one that did the install), and don't recall any feedback but he also was going to do a lot of pedal mods to his car by putting in an aftermarket floor mount. Maybe not a decent comparison anyway. Mat just posted some preliminary pictures a few weeks ago of his install. I believe his car was still in the body shop so maybe he hasn't had a chance to drive it much to give a report yet.

Downside to the Electro-boost is cost. Last I looked was around $1000 for the unit and then the install. That was one of the reasons I played with Craigs idea but went the extra and did the different mount plate so as not to mess with the pedal looks much. Also wanted it fully reversible with just a few bolts.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 9:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ford explorer power unit/ brake pedal with Ranger master cylinder. About $200 over the local parts store counter : See pics. 56 executive but most likely will fit earlier back to 51. Fairly easy.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2874&forum=3&post_id=29815#forumpost29815

Posted on: 2011/10/5 10:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
To packardV8:

That sure is a fine looking job. I heard of this one but could't find it. Over the counter parts too. I love it!!

I got an email back from MPB. Their system parts are non OEM so replacements will be from them. I assume ABS is the same also.

Anyway, thanks for the link. This is another one to consider. Is there a write up for parts used with this system? Apparently, I'm not too good with the search feature.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 15:05
1954 Packard Pacific
1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2011/10/5 19:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Great!!! thanks

Posted on: 2011/10/6 7:36
1954 Packard Pacific
1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My recommendation is to use a SINGLE line master cylinder coupled to the Ford power unit. 1965 or 66 Mustang master cylinder should fit the power unit. I have a 'stang master cylinder here and have mocked it up but not installed it yet.

Nothing wrong with using the set up with the dual master cylinder as i am running now. But i believe the single line would be better since the Packards were originaly set up for single line system.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 8:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hi Guys:

After contacting MPB and ABS and reading up on all your conversions. I've decided to go with Craig's basic idea. Implemented by BHAPPY and WALKERMAN.

Steve at MPB said they converted a 1952 packard and they have a pedal assembly available. I bought it with the BS1007D Dual Booster, MC1002PZK Right side outlet, remote master cylinder and remote reservoir. 2 residual check valves and the pedal assembly.

I chose this system because it's half the price of the Electro Boost. It's the least destructive to the original design. And you guys are happy with it.

Thanks to Craig, Packardv8, bhappy and walkerman. I couldn't have done this without your help.

Warren

Posted on: 2011/10/6 16:32
1954 Packard Pacific
1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am sure we would all love to see pictures of this setup when you get it, and also what the pedal geometry looks like when installed.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 17:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does this MPB setup go in the original location or on the firewall?

Posted on: 2011/10/6 18:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved