Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 118

Ernie Vitucci, CCR, Don B, TxGoat, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 volt heater fan motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Has anyone used a step down voltage reducer to go from 12 volts to 6 volts on a heater blower motor? My fan motor is in good shape as is the heater and the car is being converted to 12 volts. If I use a step down do I need to change the heater switch on the dash? 54 Clipper

Posted on: 2011/10/17 13:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 volt heater fan motor
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The heater motor from a 55/56 will bolt right into the '54 fan housing. Thats what I used. I am sure there are plenty of them out there as they are not a high-wear item.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 14:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure which voltage reducer you have in mind. I'm familiar with dropping resistors but haven't personally needed to use one. Fifth Avenuehttp://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/parts/parts_counter_2.html has one they advertise just for the purpose you describe so there shouldn't be any problem electrically using one specifically calculated for the purpose. I think the issue with theirs --or any resistor for that matter-- is where to mount to keep it cool. It--like the blower resistors used in some 3 speed AC systems-- will get very hot and should be in the airflow. AC mfgs usually mount in their enclosure and Fifth Avenue recommends similar in their install instructions. That kind of limits things on our cars because of the wiring looms so it may not be practical to attempt it with 12v motors available.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 14:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
So, I am looking for a good heater blower motor from a 55 Clipper of compatable unit at a reasonable price. Anybody got one?

Posted on: 2011/10/17 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Mike Dulinsky Packard Farmer....Listed here....

Posted on: 2011/10/17 15:45
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Any heater motor from 55 or 56 Packard or Clipper will work as the motors are not polarity sensitive.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 19:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved