Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 400 on E-Bay
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
There is a 55 400 on e-bay today that appears to not have power steering. First time I have seen a 55 Senior without it. Thought it was standard equipment.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 9:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 400 on E-Bay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Based on my examination of factory Trade Letters for 1954, 1955 and 1956, power steering was standard on Caribbean only - optional on all other models. It's duly noted as such on the RPO charts that I composed for this site (see the Misc Packard Information section of the Literature and Manuals archive).

I've not yet found similar letters for 1953, but I suspect that power steering was standard on the '53 Carib, as well.

Curiously, there's no mention of such equipment in either of the two letters I've seen for 1952 (25th Series) models. However, the 48-54 parts book shows applications for all chassis EXCEPT 2513 - hearse and ambulance.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 10:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
I think the 'Packards' only required options were the torsion-level and Twin-Ultramatic. That 400 certainly is an odd duck. That car would be nice to have just on the basis of not having to worry about the electrical gremlins that inhabit old cars. To have the 400 style without ever worrying about stuck seat/windows, leaking hoses, etc. I still wouldn't want to parallel park it. lol:
Still, it seems to have the dreaded Easamatic power brakes.

All the senior cars I've seen usually had power everything, although once in a while there is one without power windows, and I would guess without the power seat as well. They seem to be a combination. Where one was ordered the other option was as well.

Also a strange coincidence there is a Clipper Constellation that has power everything listed on Ebay.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 10:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another option curiousity, or at least it appeared so to me, is the (relatively) high percentage of Executives that came with push-button shift.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 10:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
My 55 Caribbean has manual windows. Don't know if it was ordered that way or done later in its life. If it was done later, they did a fine job.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 11:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved