Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: A longing for the good old days.
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
"1) ... it has to be faster and cheaper for the manufacturer to be faster and cheaper for the customer - the other way around it wouldn't work."

Philosopically yes. But i don't think it is real-world. Take for example e-ignition vs the old points, condensor and single coil ignition. Much of todays 'modern technology" (in automobiles) is little more than an atttempt to obsolesce previous technology for the purpose of deflating the aftermarket sales. IS an e-control module more expensive to make than a set of ignition points???? I don;t know but i doubt it. Points use tungsten which is rather expensive. An ECM??? ECM mite use such a tiny amount of gold (if any) so as to be neglected for any recycling considerations??? But look at the price difference to the consumer. $10 for points vs $40 (at the cheapest) for an ECM.

Posted on: 2011/11/2 21:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
"It perhaps takes guts to state on PackardInfo.com that the lifetime of installed electronic outlasts the normal lifetime of cars but in the light of my experiences it is true."

It's a major gamble tho. IF the e-component goes bad then the diagnosis and replacement part could cost a weeks wages not to mention the inconvenience of intermittent problem diagnosis. Pick the next winning lottery numbers. Pick them out on the side of the road in a rain storm, middle of mojave dessert at midnite before a 4 day holiday. Or carry $700 worth of spare e-parts in the trunk for such emergencies.

Posted on: 2011/11/2 22:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
LEt me put it another way:

Just exactly what will a new top of the line MB, Cadillac, or lincoln or similar class of car do that a good 1956 Packard, MB, Cadillac or Lincoln won't do other than fuel economy or maybe a few extreme and rarely experieneced safety considerations????

Posted on: 2011/11/2 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe it all got started when government regulations required lower emissions and more safety for passengers (a good thing). This was difficult to do in an analog based technology (remember the days of relays and sensors failing frequently). Then, as microprocessors began to be used and developed to higher and higher capacities something began to emerge: If we can make them do these 10 tasks, then why not 1,000 tasks? Eventually, digital controls were the answer to all questions, even some that had not been asked. Today, we have vehicles that are more reliable, more efficient, more powerful, more economical than ever before. This is dependent upon on the reliability of the microprocessors controlling the activities. But there is a trade off for this, it removes the operator from the operation. We will never be able to go back. I think this is why we enjoy our Packards, operators operate. Thanks.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/11/2 22:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Keith, thanks for sharing your thoughts - deeply committed as always. If you would go to a junkyard and ask for an electronic engine control module (used but in working order) for a Mercedes W211 you would find a deep shelf filled with. And then ask for a water pump ...
Modern electronics is not as black as it is painted.

John, thanks for the remarks, measured words, agreeable to both parties.

Posted on: 2011/11/2 23:06
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved