Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

Phat Jonny, ScottG, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Thunderbolt valve clatter
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Wire bush the heck out of it to remove any traces of paint, grease and or oil that may be down in the stamping indents. Then run with white chalk, and then wipe it off. That should leave the chalk down in the indents and make it easier to read. The trick is getting all the paint and grease out of the indents first.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 15:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
O_D probably has the answer but if you can believe TV never telling a lie or using artistic license, there was an episode of "Bones" where she used swimming pool muriatic acid on a q-tip. Rubbed the acid over some filed off numbers on a gun to bring them out. Some explanation about the molecules under the stamped numbers being changed by the stamping process in such a way the acid reacts.

I guess if you were careful and neutralized afterwards, even if it didn't help the worst that would happen would be a super rust, grease and paint free area.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 15:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The muriatic acid method is a fairly standard and well-known technique. The molecular structure which was impacted by the stamp has a different structure and different reactivity to an etchant.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 15:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Big Kev, Howard & O_D. I've got a wire brush and I'll pick up some Muriatic Acid tomorrow. I gone this far and now I haveto know if there is anything really there.
I must point out though, that is is about this point when my family starts making serio-comic "jokes" about involuntary committal.

So, if I suddenly disappear.....

Posted on: 2011/11/25 19:11
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved