Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 143

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

29 packard carb problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I have not started my car for a while. I recently went to start it and it would not start. I fill the vacume tank with gas the carb has gas in the float area. the spark is good I put gas in to 1 of the spark plug holes to see if it would try and it did try untill that gas was used up. I had problems with this carb since I had the car it was proffesionally rebuilt about 2 years ago since then I was driving the car and it just shut off. I did as much as I could do on the side of the raod until I finally towed it home. At home I took the carb off and found a small pipe in the center of the carb was clogged I cleaned it out and the car started and ran good. now the problem seems the same as that. for some reason there is no gas getting to plugs. I put my finger over the vacume fitting at the back side of carb and it dose seem to have vacume when the engine is cranked but if I put my hand over the end of carb where the choke is there does not seem to be much vacume if any. I had the intake off took it to a machine shop they said it was fine there are new gaskets on it also. I will add a picture of the carb are these problematic carbs or any other Ideas thanks for any help

Attach file:

jpg  (88.38 KB)
3379_4ed28b9c7bb36.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/11/27 14:12
 Top  Print 

Re: 29 packard carb problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd recommend that when you get the motor running again, you take a manifold vacuum reading. Those carbs are not particularly troublesome and for many are quite trouble-free, but you can't expect the same performance that downdrafts give.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 14:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"At home I took the carb off and found a small pipe in the center of the carb was clogged I cleaned it out and the car started and ran good".

Dirt in gas tank or fuel lines. Does it have a fuel filter near the carb???

Posted on: 2011/11/27 16:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
the entire fuel system was cleaned and a 7 micron filter was installed

Posted on: 2011/11/28 3:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
the filter is between carb and vacume tank

Posted on: 2011/11/28 3:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Do a compression check on each cylinder. It sounds like an intake valve is hanging open or simply needs adjustment. An intake valve hanging open (even JUST ONE) will drop vacuum dramatically. Also it will cause alot of 'crusting' of the carb when it is running thus the possible dirty 'center tube' of the carb. But usualy an intake valve that is hanging open, even just a little bit, will cause the engine to run so poorly that the car will barely pull itself in low gear on flat land.

Posted on: 2011/11/28 7:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
It makes sense I will do that thanks Tom

Posted on: 2011/11/30 17:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear 29:

Let's look at how this carburetor works. The tube in the throat of which you speak is the fuel jet. The design does not have an idle circuit, power valve, nor an accelerator pump. So if the fuel jet gets clogged the car will not run.

Next, the only compensation for this very rudimentary approxmation is the secondary air intake. That is the toilet bowl looking thing on the front of the carburetor. This valve opens to lean the mixture during moderate throttle or cruise conditions.

Now if the motor won't run, the first step in isolating the carburetor is to remove the acorn nut on top of the fuel bowl and pull up on the float needle. If the carburetor floods then the problem is forward of the vacuum tank.

It takes a lot of dirt to clog the fuel jet and if that is what you found then it's time for some detective work.

A common culprit is seating problems in the vacuum tank and an easy test is to manually fill the tank to get the car running. There are two needle seats in the vacuum tank that cause problems picking up fuel because they become loose and don't seal. That can be fixed.

Usually dirt getting into the vacuum tank will cause engine shut down and in that case it's probably time to drop the tank and inspect the work done. If that sounds like too much work for starters, then try running the motor out of a gas can. If the car runs okay then you know the problem is behind the vacuum tank.

After that poor electrical connections from the ignition switch forward are also a common cause of motor shut down.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 18:41
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
I had a problem like that on my 29. I put a ceramic filter in the sediment bowl under the autovac. Car had set for a while while radiator was out. When I put it back together and test drove it, first had what I thought was autovac problems, engine would surge then discovered the vacuum wiper hose was off next to the wiper motor. That fixed then discovered car would shut off at speed. Removed that ceramic filter and she runs like a top. Really did not need it now since enough fuel had run thru the system since I cleaned and lined the tank that no further trash is coming thru.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 20:25
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved