Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
271 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 270

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering gear oil
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
On my '54 Clipper - I finally realized the drips of oil on my garage floor are not engine oil - its oil from steering gear box (manual steering). The manual says to add 90w oil until it reaches the fill mark. I have looked at drawings and the service manual, and I can't really tell much from those - where is the fill mark? Which of the two bolts on top is the filler? - Also, what on the gear box is the likely source of the leak. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted on: 2011/11/27 17:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering gear oil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The filler is hex-head but a simple steel stamping, not forged or machined like a bolt head with nice crisp edges - should be pretty obvious if things are nice and clean and you can get a close look.

Fill to perhaps 1/2 inch below the threads of the filler hole - not critical as long as the gear faces are covered.

If the leak is more like slow seepage you might get relief by moving up to a SAE 140 or 160 gear oil. I'll let others comment on resealing the box - never been there.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 20:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering gear oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
54 Clipper........

Looks to me like our cars are EXACT twins, colors and all.
Would appreciate your email address so we can communicate on idiosyncracies of our cars. Mine is
stevens828@att.net.

Thank You
Warren Stevens

Posted on: 2011/12/6 12:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved