Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 232

Tobs, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

horn button removal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

David Stewart
See User information
I have a 1925 1st series eight and need to know how to remove the horn button, also have the same problem with a 1930 726, anybody have the answer?

Posted on: 2011/12/4 11:44
 Top  Print   

Re: horn button removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave, I'm just guessing from how slightly later models were constructed (check for a picture in a shop or parts manual), but there are probably a series of long, concentric brass tubes for the lights and throttle or perhaps choke or spark control knobs which go down thru the column and exit at the base below the steering gear box at the lower oil seal gland on the bottom of the column to make their points of attachment, just above the light switch. Remove the light switch, loosen or remove the packing gland, and carefully push the tubes up thru the steering column. Once the set of tubes (with horn button) and pushed up a couple of inches, you'll see the horn button attachment underneath. No guarantee yours is the same, but I'd think there's a good chance.

Posted on: 2011/12/4 12:03
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

David Stewart
See User information
I have seen a 1924 button that simply unscrewed but mine wont. I have the 1930 steering column off, will look at all that goes on at the bottom. thanks

Posted on: 2011/12/4 20:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
David,

If you go to 34PackardRoadsta "Tom's 1930 733 Sedan" blog
and Web Site Packardpaddock.com you will see how the '30 light switch assembly comes out.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 6:53
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, nice helpful pictures. Looks like it pushes up from below the gear box as I had suggested, similar to later years.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Yes, it pushes up from the bottom. The horn button and surround are attached to the throttle control tube by screws. No way to remove it without taking the entire tube assembly out.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/12/5 12:31
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

David Stewart
See User information
Thanks a lot Tom, it does come apart just like your photos(excellent!!!)Thank all of you so much. I should have known that was how it came apart because my Model A was built the same way, of course I took that apart in 1953.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Glad I could help!

Posted on: 2011/12/7 10:50
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
You may find that when you put it all back together, the steering box starts to leak from the clamp at the bottom.

It has a cork seal through which the tube that operates the hand-throttle and light switch passes.

After taking it out, the seal might not be so good. I cut a new cork seal from 6mm fine-grain cork, soaked it in oil overnight and it worked fine.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 11:03
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can also use graphited cord in the packing box (seal), same kind of material many of us use in the water pumps of that era. You can get it at any plumbing supply house in a variety of diameters. Don't use teflon packing!!

Posted on: 2011/12/7 11:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved