Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

j41157, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'56 Torque Convertor Removal
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So the gentleman that is bringing the '56 transmission to me from Northern Calif called, and reported that he can't get the convertor loose from the fly wheel.

The motor and tranny are out of the car, and are already separated, but the conveyor is still on flywheel. He said motor has sat outside for awhile in the elements.

He has removed the 4 bolts that hold that convertor to the fly wheel, but it still won't come loose. Are there any other fasteners, or is just rust holding them together at this point?

Need to call him back before he take a sledgehammer to it.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 14:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: '56 Torque Convertor Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just the 4 bolts but the converter has a center shoulder or pilot which fits inside the crankshaft/flex plate. That may be rusted or seized in place

Attach file:

jpg  (63.99 KB)
209_4f035af70b441.jpg 640X800 px

Posted on: 2012/1/3 14:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just tell him to bring u engine trans and all if it's cheap enuf. IF engine is a SCRAPPER and noone cares about the crank then remove engine oil pan and pull the entire unit crank flywheel and TQ and all.

Last ditch effort (if junk creank) then strike the FRONT END of the crank shaft (where harmonic balancer fits) with a sledge hammer. BUt use that as ONLY a last ditch effort.

Mite have to JUDICOUSLY pry the TQ away from flex plate.

I'd rather just get the entire crank and TQ as one piece and then worry about it later or better yet the entire engine.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 14:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Be nice to see oil pump too.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 15:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Keith, only interested in the Transmission as nothing else is applicable to my '54 motor. Plus I think he is selling the motor seperately.

Howard, thanks for the info and pictures.. He is soaking the hell out of it right now with penetrating oil. He has till Friday night to break it loose before he drives down from Santa Maria with it.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 17:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a bundle of wood shims, the kind they use for door jambs. Drive the shims between the flywheel and the TC. A little at a time and that will also give you some room to spray PB Blaster in there. It has to be rusted together. Even better if you can turn the crank and work your way around.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 20:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Actually, it is stuck in the crankshaft. I just thought about that. Can't be stuck on the flywheel or flexplate.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 2:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved