Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil pan findings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Got my oil pan off, and as you can see there was a lot of sludge waiting to see me. When I was cleaning out that sludge I came across a few bits of metal. I'm not sure where they are from so I got a picture of them. Can someone let me know what these are?

Attach file:

jpg  (17.33 KB)
3628_4f03a5828d861.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (16.69 KB)
3628_4f03a58d097b6.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (13.67 KB)
3628_4f03a59a899a4.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (38.15 KB)
3628_4f03a5a7d088e.jpg 650X488 px

Posted on: 2012/1/3 20:04
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil pan findings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Valve spring keepers. Check the valves/springs for any missing.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 20:12
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As Hank said, check for any missing but you may be OK. When removing and installing, those nasty things have a habit of falling or flying all directions. If a rag was not covering the bottom of lifter chamber they inevitably aimed for and fell down the nearest drain hole.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 20:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
My #1 exhaust valve sticks, if those are missing would it cause that to happen? Or would it probably be a dirty/seized valve guide?

Posted on: 2012/1/3 20:23
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are two on each valve. If both on a valve are missing there is no spring pressure on the valve so it will stay open or if it does close, fall by gravity or maybe compression. If only one is missing, assuming the spring does not cock then it will still work OK. Rusty valve guides were a common problem and could be your issue.

Once you verify mechanical things are OK, you could try some of that top lube you pour down the carb while engine is running. It might help but if not, at the least you can enjoy smoking up the neighborhood, kill a few mosquitoes and at the same time, possibly get a little into the engine that will work into the guides later.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
As HH56 pointed out valve keepers are an easy thing to lose when building a motor and they often wind up down in the pan. It is fairly common to find keepers, nuts, washers and other random bits of junk.

The keepers could have been lost during an overhaul or even when the engine was being built. The mechanic just went and got some more, it was not worth the bother of hunting for the ones he dropped.

There are no keepers missing off your valves, if there were you would know it because the valve springs would fall off and the valves would fall out.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 5:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I had a 29000 mile 1955 400 that I bought from the original owner that had a missing valve keeper. The great old time Packard mechanic we had in Detroit found out it was missing while working on the car for me. He couldn't figure out either how the valve remained in place.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 9:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved