Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 189

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

converting from Houdaille to Delco shocks
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
My '38 Packard 8 mod.1601 has Houdaille shocks on all four corners. I am replacing them all as they are all beat. Adding new fluid did not help so the pros all agree get them rebuilt. They have been bench tested as I have one front and both rears off the car now.
Well here comes the question. It will save loads of money, time and hassles if I can swap over to Delcos at least on the fronts as they are readily available and appear to be less costly than getting the Houdes rebuilt. Also what about converting the rears to Delcos? The fronts are the typical two arm units while the rears are one armed. If you look at the '38 shop manual you will see a great shot of my shocks.
FYI, the sixes come with Delcos, also other close years to mine have Delcos too. Thanks to all in advance...

Posted on: 2012/1/3 20:46
 Top  Print   

Re: converting from Houdaille to Delco shocks
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
A post thought:

In seeking more info about my shock issue I found through the shop manuals that the Canadian Eights along with the Sixes & Super Eights use the same shock that I think can fit my Eight. Well if that's the case how about I find a pair of those and swap my Houdailles in?

Also do I need to use shocks that have the external valve nuts? 1937s don't so could they work?

Any one had experience in this?

Posted on: 2012/1/4 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
FPTGearhead,
Regarding the use of shocks from a six, junior 8 on a Su8, I would caution that although the primary Delco part number is the same (example 1966C or 1966D) may be the same for six/junior 8, there is an internal compression and rebound valve difference that is designated on the shock endcaps by a suffix after the main Delco number, such as 1966D xxxx-xx. So, they may bolt in perfectly well, they may have a response that renders a bumpy ride.

I have the suffix number literature if you need it.

Pat

Posted on: 2012/1/5 12:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
Pat,

Thanks for the insight. This shock issue is going around and around. Yes I would like access to that data you suggested to check. I am assuming you are describing the valves that go inside the shock to adjust the way the shock works to suit the ride desired? As in the chart in the '38-'39 Shop Manual on page 79? Valid point. When I mentioned some of these variables to the shock rebuilders across the country they said that they would rebuilt them to a firm setting? So where does that fit in the scheme of this question? So I guess I am almost back to square one and contemplating to just get the original Houdes rebuilt from one of the reputable vendors and move on...

I recently found out that the Delcos sit real close to the combo fuel pump on the right side. The Houdes don't even come close to it. Max Merritt has a '38 Eight with Delcos and will rebuild and sell them to me. That is where I noticed the tight fit as per the photos he sent me.

Well does this issue of Delcos vs. Houdes also effect the rears?

Again thanks for the insight and can I get a look at that data you refer to?

David

Posted on: 2012/1/5 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
David,
I'll try to address your points in order:

Yes, the shop manual goes into great detail on this subject, including the fact that there where different valve choices within a car. I think the manual states something to the effect that "if a customer is not happy, replace with valve x or y to either stiffen or relax the ride. I don't expect my Delco specific parts book to tell me any more than the Packard Shop Manual, but will look (gotta dig that up).

I can't comment on the Su8 placement of the rear of the shock vs. the pump as I have no experience with a vehicle with Houdalle shocks at the corners. On my 39 six, things are not too close (except when I am trying to get a wrench on the pump!). I guess this gets back to your stated concern of whether the four mounting holes are already there for the Delco.

Regarding the rears, again, I can't comment on the Houdalle vs. Delco, but would be critical of the mounting scheme. However, I suspect the change of any parts to accomodate the Delcos would be much easier than effort to drill holes and add threaded mounts for the front pilot and mount bolts. The Delco parts suffix rule applies to rears as well.

I have a set of shocks that turned out to be for a large eight, but I don't the exact year: 38-39-40. I'd need to do some research to check the exact valving. Let me know if you are interested.

Pat

Posted on: 2012/1/6 12:52
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
Pat,
Agains thanks for the help. New news on the issue... I just got word from Apple Hydraulics on Long Island NY regarding my shocks. According to their old records and years of experience the Houdes are a last minute substitute for the Delcos as there was a strike at GM and it affected Delcos ability to fill the order to Packard. Houdaille was chosen as a replacement at the last minute. More importantly the front shocks had to be redesigned to handle the heavier Packard car. This redesigned unit really never did the job well and were unreliable. The rears (one armed units similar to Fords) barely met specs but were acceptable.
Apple Hydraulics has Delcos, both front and rear for my '38 in stock and reasonably priced... Well it's a no brainer for me. I'll call and order asap.

So in summary I guess it all makes sense now. Packard sent out many Technical Service Bulletins regarding the unsatisfactory performance of the Houdes and the stop gap measures to regain a quality ride. Now I understand why they went back to Delcos the next year.
Thanks to all that helped and I'll post what happens next.
David

Posted on: 2012/1/7 21:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
Just an update on the progress of my shock issue...

Apple Hydraulics sold me four rebuilt Delco shocks, fronts and rears, to replace the Houdailles. Other than different length mounting bolts, they went on easily. Just recently finished the total job on the front end, from the steering box rebuild all the way to the tie rod ends were replaced or rebushed. Changed all the drivetrain seals too. Rear shocks were swapped to Delcos. Used lots of POR15 chassis paint also. Recommend that stuff.
Car rides fine, handles bumps well and no issues with the Delcos. Nice to have a normal car again. Apple Hydraulics did not want my old Houdes as cores because no other vehicles use them other than mine. No problem. I recommend Apple Hydraulics if you need their services.

I do have a few other questions needing help that I'll post separately. Thanks to all that helped with this project.

DJ

Posted on: 2012/1/31 12:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved